Painting of control panel possible?

Stefan H

TVWBB Guru
I am working on an special design for a older Genesis right now I would like to paint the control panel. Are these control panels enameled or painted from the factory? I am trying to find out if any paint would actually stick or if I would need to sand it down to bare metal before priming and repainting with heat resistant paint. I have some spare panels I can mess with.

I agree with Larry, but I suppose given enormous effort you could ultimately grind/heavy duty sand off the porcelain plating. It would have to be some incredible idea for me to ever try that:eek:!

I think grinding it down and repainting it would be huge project and maybe one that wouldn't work too well in the end. You could paint over the porcelain, but it will chip off pretty easily. I have seen several Weber grills where someone has painted the lids.

I agree with everything Bruce said. If you have a really unusual custom idea, it might actually be easier to have a sheet metal shop bend and cut a blank replacement piece.

Agreed. The more I think about it the more stupid it is. And too much work. I am going to replace the panel another metal sheet.

Stephan, I really want to see what you come up with and what your special project is all about.

Back