Jamie Purviance baby backs

Lynn Dollar

TVWBB Emerald Member
Smoked baby backs yesterday on the 26 using a recipe from Jamie Purviance's book " Weber's Greatest Hits " . I like doing recipes. I want to taste the flavors people like Purviance or Tuffy Stone are creating. He calls this " Best on the Block " baby backs. I liked the recipe cuz it included a sauce. And the sauce was ketchup and apple cider vinegar based. Almost all sauce I use and even when I go to barbecue joints around here, is sweet. This was a good change.

5PzLs9F.jpg

Did not pile up the coals on one side of the 26, used baskets on both sides, filled with Weber briquettes, and chunks of apple wood. And foil down the middle under the ribs in a rack.

Dhyx5g4.jpg

Purviance says to smoke these from 300 to 350 and to spritz with a mop of apple juice and cider vinegar after one hour. I pulled the lid at an hour, and these were already dark and pulling back on the bone. His total time is approx 2 hour 45 minute. My experience said these were gonna be done well before that

BtZmA7t.jpg

Following the recipe, I checked on them again at 2 hours. Tried to rotate them in the rack and they fell apart. I sauced them and pulled them 15 minutes later.

Pz2kJg6.jpg

They were really good, I would do this again

56CqqHs.jpg

Looking good. I've made that recipe also and had the same results as you, done a lot sooner than the recipe called for. I have all of Jamie's books and find them to have some excellent recipes.

Wow; those look impossibly perfect. Wouldn't surprise me if he asked to use one of those pics in a book, lol. It is fortunate that you're experienced and was able to gauge doneness

Back