Son wants to replace the wood on his redhead with Durawood

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
I rehabbed his grill in 2015.

20150312_153624.jpg

He said the wood is getting pretty bad and found a free donor grill with Durawood.
Do you think the slats and handle interchange?

69393083_10215330539917415_1447708474753417216_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/529754734435847/
Thanks!

All interchangeable. Very simple project. I would recommend sanding and repainting
the Z-bars if they have any rust though.

The difference in the flip up shelf I believe is the one you gave him has a hole in the leg to put the rod in and the donner has the sliding support going from both front legs. You may be able to swap out the rods. As far as the slates should fit fine as a mater of fact he can just pop out the stationary shelf and put it into his grill.
My working grills (non flippers) all have durawood shelfs, so much easier to maintain than wood.

36758629936_af6be7c1aa_z.jpg
[/url]DSCN2766 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

You certainly can swap them out. I suggest you grab that slide bar on the durawood grill and put it on your grill. I have a wood 1000 as well and first thing I did was find a donor grill that had the slider for the swing table. But, I kept the wood, or rather, replaced the wood.

Thanks so much for all of the replies and advice!
I'll send him a link to this thread rather than try to text all of the suggestions.

I didn't notice one was a leg Mount and one was a sliding bar in the pictures. Is there a difference in the shelf support bar length on the sliding and leg Mount bars?

I beleive the rods are different between the two grills. Just make sure you get the sliding bar, rod, and the plastic sliding clip from the Durawood grill and it should all transfer over to the wood grill just fine.

One secret. If the plastic slider doesn't seem to "slide" very well, just lightly coat the slide bar with some vegetable oil, it will work awesome after that. I did that on my grill three years ago and it still slides perfectly. I am sure you could use regular oil as well. I just had a jar of vegetable oil handy.

Son said thanks to all!
He also said the metal parts are pretty rusty with flaking paint, so he's just going to swap out the slats and handle. It does have a better tank gauge than his.
If he runs across any usable parts some of you might be able to use, I'll let you know.

I beleive the rods are different between the two grills. Just make sure you get the sliding bar, rod, and the plastic sliding clip from the Durawood grill and it should all transfer over to the wood grill just fine.

One secret. If the plastic slider doesn't seem to "slide" very well, just lightly coat the slide bar with some vegetable oil, it will work awesome after that. I did that on my grill three years ago and it still slides perfectly. I am sure you could use regular oil as well. I just had a jar of vegetable oil handy.

I used wax form an old candle stub, works really nicely!

I just put a little good old fashioned oil on it and wipe it. And yes Durawood is a great choice. Yeah I know the real wood looks "da bomb" when perfectly new and finished but weather and moisture have their way pretty darn quick on it. Give me Durawood any day

I have been struggling with the wood for years. If I were to use Trex type wood as "durawood" does anybody have any comments? It would be great to get to a more "permanent" feeling solution for the side tables and bottom table on this grill. Right now they are all poured concrete, but I don't see that as the long term solution.

I see 2 problems with that idea. The 1st is that it would be hard to find it in the thickness that you need. The second problem that I see is that it would probably not be resistant to heat. The board nearest to the cook Box on the top left shelf might have problems. But if you could find the right size it would probably work for everything else

I have been struggling with the wood for years. If I were to use Trex type wood as "durawood" does anybody have any comments? It would be great to get to a more "permanent" feeling solution for the side tables and bottom table on this grill. Right now they are all poured concrete, but I don't see that as the long term solution.

I have looked at those products several times. In fact I went to a Lowe's near me that has the brown in stock at lunch today. The problem to me with that particular product from Lowes and what is at my local Home Depot is that it isn't a solid thickness board like the durawood slats. The boards have either a structured shape to them or holes in them that I imagine is there to save weight. Let me see if I can get a picture to work.

aq7NSKk.jpg

I did just find these 12" samples that are only $5 and the boards are solid. A few of these could make a whole set of slats.

https://shop.trex.com/trex-select-composite-decking-in-madeira/

Last edited:
I see 2 problems with that idea. The 1st is that it would be hard to find it in the thickness that you need. The second problem that I see is that it would probably not be resistant to heat. The board nearest to the cook Box on the top left shelf might have problems. But if you could find the right size it would probably work for everything else

The board closest to the firebox on my durawood set has deformed from the heat. The durawood slats are known to be heat resitant?

If I search for durawood lumber I get several hits for companies making adirondack chairs from the stuff. The details of the products claim the stuff is just HDPE which is just thick plastic like cutting boards are made out of.

Thanks guys. I suppose I'll just go ahead with my plan to refinish some oak slats I have with actual spar polyurethane instead of interior poly and see how long it lasts. I want to get that concrete off of the frame, and then treat some areas of the frame with POR-15. Never ends! But then again, the grill is in great shape and I don't mind keeping up with the maintenance. It's easily by a lot the best grill I've ever had.

Slainte!

Tim

You could use ceramic tiles instead of the concrete and put some rubber spacers between the tile and rails. Tiles come in all kinds of sizes these days.

Hi Jack! Yes, there are many nontraditional options. But I think I want to give the spar urethane a try. I haven't used it on wood yet. I tried a bunch of wacky stuff in the past and none of it worked out. Here's that grill: https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?59970-Could-Not-Resist It's been a journey but like I said I don't mind keeping up with it.

I saw in some posts that you have recently regained some health, I am very happy to hear that and hope that you continue to feel better!

Slainte!

Tim

Durawood is nothing more than Trex. It's NOT heat resistant which is why Weber makes sure to use a heat baffle on that left side of the grill. I would not hesitate to use it one bit. IMO superior to trying to keep real wood looking good

Back