Seeking advice: Sous Vide Beef Ribs

JimK

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
A month or two ago, I stumbled on some gorgeous beef ribs at Wegman's. These were in a styrofoam tray and wrapped, leading me to believe that someone must have ordered a boneless ribeye roast and this was the leftovers - big win for me. These are nice, big, meaty ribs. I plan to sous vide them this weekend, followed by an hour or two on the kettle or WSM for some bark and smoke flavor. I'm just not sure how to sous vide them. Recipes I've seen vary widely on both time and temp and I can't seem to find guidance on how to get the kind of ribs I'm looking for. I'd like these to be 'pull off the bone' - a little resistance, but come off cleanly. A lot of what I see is for 'fall off the bone', which is overdone, IMHO. I'm thinking SV at 130 for 24-36 hours, then finish indirect over charcoal at around 225. Any advice? Caveats?

Thanks Tony. I did go warmer, following Meathead's recipe of 150F. I had them in for about 32 hours, and finished on the kettle at ~250 with some pecan and cherry for about 40 minutes. While that was going, I did some broccolini and cedar planked mashed potatoes on the Genesis. Used the drippings to make a red wine reduction and it came out very well, though I think next time, I'll allow for some more kettle time.

Recipe here: https://amazingribs.com/tested-reci...-que-beef-ribs-rosemary-red-wine-sauce-recipe

Thanks Tony. I did go warmer, following Meathead's recipe of 150F. I had them in for about 32 hours, and finished on the kettle at ~250 with some pecan and cherry for about 40 minutes. While that was going, I did some broccolini and cedar planked mashed potatoes on the Genesis. Used the drippings to make a red wine reduction and it came out very well, though I think next time, I'll allow for some more kettle time.

Recipe here: https://amazingribs.com/tested-reci...-que-beef-ribs-rosemary-red-wine-sauce-recipe

Jim; I have to hand it to you...I could NEVER wait 32 hours when cooking anything. You must be a very patient person. For me, 12 hours is the absolute maximum for fridge to table. My wife is a bit impatient...I get some serious dirty looks when I tell her, “it needs to rest now, honey”. :)

Back