overnight smoke/temp drop

Jay Smity

Cooking another brisket its a 11 lbs packer. I got the grill up to 220 and put the meat on at 10pm. I went to bed at 1135pm and it was at 224. I wake up at 430am and its at 195. I do not know when the temperature drop was. Should this be a problem? Thank you!

I don't think you have anything to worry about, if by "problem" you mean food safety. The drop in temperature will add to your cooking time, of course.

I don't think you have anything to worry about, if by "problem" you mean food safety. The drop in temperature will add to your cooking time, of course.

I'm concerned that by adding to the cooking time, my meat will become dried out like the last time. Any tips on how to avoid this?

I'm concerned that by adding to the cooking time, my meat will become dried out like the last time. Any tips on how to avoid this?

Stay up and tend your cook?

Ash buildup causes temps to drop. You can shake the smoker gently to help it fall.

Avoid....get a controller with a blower, It compensates

An early mod i did was extending my charcoal basket for 50% more capacity. Delayed the ash temp drop from 6-7 hrs to 10-11.

Last edited:
Cooking at 225 you are in for a long cook whether it drops or not. ( I myself shoot for 275) but everybody does this different.
If you can find Weber charcoal on sale it will help hold temps throughout the night.
Around here I rarely see Weber for under 20 bucks a bag. But I am always looking.
I second a temp controller. I myself have a simple one. Simple means I use it every time. ( Plug it in. Alligator clip the temp probe. Set the knob) done.

If you can find Weber charcoal on sale it will help hold temps throughout the night.
Around here I rarely see Weber for under 20 bucks a bag. But I am always looking.

Weber charcoal is the real deal. It burns great and seems to generate little ash. I did a 9 hour cook yesterday without the temp dropping.

I would start with a higher temperature. Around 250°.

Did you have water in the pan? I think that the steam might also contribute to temps dropping but I have no way to confirm that.

It's currently on sale for $13 a bag. I just bought 2 bags with free shipping to my local True Value. I've been looking around my area for Weber briquettes and have not been able to find it in stock. Thanks for the heads up!

I just ordered 2 even though I don't really need them:rolleyes: 13 dollars a bag is hard to pass up though.

Hmmm. I paid for Weber Charcoal with paypal. It still says order pending.
Paypal says they won't charge me till True Value processes my order.
This might wind up more trouble than it's worth.

That sucks. I used paypal too. Within a couple minutes of ordering (on Tuesday 9/3), I received a confirmation email from True Value and two from paypal. I received another email from True Value on Monday telling me it was at the store. I picked it up this morning.

Do you have an order number?

That sucks. I used paypal too. Within a couple minutes of ordering (on Tuesday 9/3), I received a confirmation email from True Value and two from paypal. I received another email from True Value on Monday telling me it was at the store. I picked it up this morning.

Do you have an order number?

Yes I do.
I just looked on the "order status" page and it says "processing"
Looks like I need to contact the store I am having it shipped to (their Phone number is on the order# page).
I think I will just let it go. If it ships I will pick it up but I am not going to pursue it.

Finally got my charcoal. Got an email Friday saying it was in.
Took 3 weeks but at that price it's a pretty good deal:cool:

If it only dropped to 195 l wouldn't worry about it. It was going to be a long smoke at 225 anyhow. Shake the WSM or add more fuel. The brisket will be done when it's ready to be done.

Back