TVWBB mentioned on radio last night

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
So I was listening to a little late night radio on WGN last night. The show was On The Road with Dane Neal. He was talking to a BBQ guy (can't remember his name but maybe Chris will chime in). Anyway he said when he was getting his start he found this site, and started asking questions. So many questions that according to him "the owner of the site told him e was asking too many questions and was costing him money and kicked him off" :D So he started his own site. I think he said it's called "Amazing Ribs" (maybe Chris' memory will be jogged and he can tell us).
Anyway I though it was pretty funny

Was it “Meathead Goldwyn” of Amazingribs.com who wrote the book “Science of BBQ”? I know his site too. Would like to hear if that story is true.

I just thought it was comical how he said that he was costing the site too much money by asking too many questions LOL

That’s why I don’t post much! Trying to keep the costs down! I’m a listener, not a talker.
LOL!

Last edited:
At that point in the show, he's interviewing Greg Rempe of The BBQ Central podcast. Greg was an active member here from 2004-2006 and posted off and on as late as January 2009 even after leaving to start his own forum. His account here was never closed, in fact it's open and all his posts are still active. You can read them here.

To the best of my knowledge, Meathead Goldwyn and Max Good have never been TVWBB members.

I may have said something to that effect, but I don't remember. Apparently it was a memorable event for him, not so much for me.

In the old days, it was not uncommon for me to occasionally post announcements reminding all members to keep the discussion focused and to minimize chatty posts. I also pruned posts from some forums and pruned inactive member accounts. I had a ridiculous hosting service where I paid fees based on post count, user count, and bandwidth, and I was paying dearly during the busy summer months. Minimizing chatty posts helped reduce cost, so it's entirely possible that I asked him to ease up on the posting.

Since 2012, when I found help to move the forum to vBulletin software and more affordable hosting, I have been able to let go of all those concerns! I no longer worry about chatty posts and I no longer prune forums or user accounts.

It struck me as totally funny. I was half asleep laying there chuckling at what he said. Hope you don't think I was being critical. Just struck me as humorous. BTW he didn't mention it in a derogatory way. If you listened he was laughing and did so in a passing way alluding to how funny his situation was

It struck me as totally funny. I was half asleep laying there chuckling at what he said. Hope you don't think I was being critical. Just struck me as humorous. BTW he didn't mention it in a derogatory way. If you listened he was laughing and did so in a passing way alluding to how funny his situation was

No problem that you brought it up. I listened to it and it doesn't bother me in the least, I have no animosity towards him. Over the years, I've had several people tell me that he mentions this anecdote when recounting his barbecue journey. In fact, he said some very nice things about TVWB and TVWBB being important sources of learning during his early years with his WSM.

Yes he did. I more brought the whole mention up because I thought it was really cool that he brought this forum up and talked highly about all the info about it and all that he learned.

TVWBB was instrumental for me in the beginning of my BBQ journey. Had I not found it, I would have stopped using the WSM after the 2nd cook and that would have been that. I always speak well of these hallowed grounds...even if Chris was ruling with an iron fist back then! LOL!!:):) I am happy to see that this forum is still as great as ever!

TVWBB was instrumental for me in the beginning of my BBQ journey. Had I not found it, I would have stopped using the WSM after the 2nd cook and that would have been that. I always speak well of these hallowed grounds...even if Chris was ruling with an iron fist back then! LOL!!:):) I am happy to see that this forum is still as great as ever!

I get that. I bought a Brinkman water smoker in 1984 and did not have anything like this site , I never figured it out, and was happy when someone stole it off my patio.

Lynn, same deal for me. I bought one back in the early 90's and never really figured it out. I used it as a grill for a summer. AFter struggling with burned food, uncooked food, it hit the curb.

Seven years ago I was a backyard griller with my 1998 genesis 1000LX and a 22 silver kettle. Nothing more fancy than burgers, dogs, maybe some chicken and an occasional steak. I was looking to try something new and stumbled on to this site and never looked back.
Seven years and 14,000+ posts later I think I'm here to stay.
I learn something new every time I'm on the forum, love this place and the great people who are on it.

Yah, this sight not only has been a major resource for my rehabbing efforts. But also in my grilling efforts. Without this site, rehabbing would probably not be a thing for me and my grilling would still be limited to burning burgers and over cooking stakes.

Me too, but I absolutely mean it! I started dabbling with Webers when I got a free one Off the side of the road after one of our Florida hurricanes. I used a file to clean the rust off the cast iron grate and sandpaper for cleaning the firebox😯. Another time I just couldn’t figure out why my control panel and burners wouldn’t fit as I tried swapping parts indiscriminately between a Silver and a 1000:rolleyes:. Thanks to TVWBB and the great people here I have learned so much and can sometimes even help others! But there is always something new to learn and newcomers to help avoid the mistakes we have all made. What a great group. I hope a bunch more of you will join us at our Upper Midwest TVWBB Meet next summer. Go to the gas grill section and sign up!

Back