Weber to discontinue Spirit II colors in 2020

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
If you've been putting off the purchase of a Spirit II gas grill in red, ivory, or sapphire, you'd better hurry and buy one...if you can even find one at this point.

I have it on good authority that Weber is discontinuing these colorful grills in 2020, leaving black as the only available color.

d9OiVWi.jpg

7bqfPRZ.jpg

ZJy1HE0.jpg

Unless it costs weber a lot to have varying colors, I think it is a big mistake. But, I assume they will still over Genesis II in colors???

I don't think Weber gets it at all...The cool colors to me was one of the most redeeming style features of the Spirit II line. I wasn't too keen on the red which looked washed out to me, but the blue and ivory are both VERY nice, depending on your taste. Just when Weber realized their fans wanted colorful kettles again and started selling them in the US they turn around and abandon what they were already offering. Oh well, I do at least like black grills.

Maybe they are trying to keep Spirit as a lower line and forcing people to move up to a Genesis to get all the options. They may have started selling a larger percentage of Spirits compared to Genesis than in years past and want to force people to step up to get all the bells and whistles.

What Bruce said. I don’t have any official insight into the “why” of the decision, but I’ve heard anecdotes that some stores have had great success selling colorful Spirit II grills at the expense of Genesis II grills.

That would explain a lot pushing the customers to more expensive grills if they want something fancy. Just like Henry Ford: Any customer can have a car painted any color that he wants so long as it is black. :cool:
I just wonder if that would be US specific. In Europe you can get the Smokey Joe grills in the same fancy colors (green, slate, ivory, ...) like the 22" kettles. Here in the US we only get black. But they also cost a lot more in Europe.
But I also love the colorful grills. Another reason to keep my old blue and maroon lids.

Last edited:
Update in red text.

I received some confirmation today from a knowledgeable source that less expensive colorful Spirit II grills have been cannibalizing Genesis II sales. Spirit II will be offered in black only and a new color(s) may be added to the Genesis II line for 2020.

Wonder if Weber comes out with a pellet grill will they have different colors for those or just black.

FWIW, Rec Tec started out with red lids, although not a nice deep red. When they first experimented with offering a black lid, it was a big hit. They discontinued that for a while until they rolled out a whole set of new models, all of which have black lids. It is their only color now. Maybe basic black isn’t such a bad idea!

They very well could do that as they have in the past. But, it will probably require an upgrade to the Genesis line to get that. In my opinion Weber is doing the right thing here. Instead of selling two lines of grills that are clearly in the same customer base, they are trying to keep them separate. Value conscious people will get the Spirit with less bells and whistles. If they want all they extras, they will need to jump up to the Genesis line.

Jason. Sorry, I thought I was in the Spirit thread. i think it would be something to set them off a bit to add colors to the pellet grills. Some outfits already do, but it seems very limited.

Jason. Sorry, I thought I was in the Spirit thread. i think it would be something to set them off a bit to add colors to the pellet grills. Some outfits already do, but it seems very limited.

I think it would also be a cool nod to the past. They could run some limited edition color (or even a graphic like the Skyline series) and only offer it in the smaller outlets like the Ace hardware and other such retailers.

Bruce,
I just realized you're right and we are in the spirit thread. I wasn't paying attention when I read Rich.

Back