Charcoal mix for Vortex thighs

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
Just 2 pics.
I put a layer of Royal Oak briqs on the bottom to help get the slower lighting Cowboy (Stubbs) briqs going, then topped with a large chunk of lump.

Used my new, open box sale, blue Mk4 to check the temps.

The thighs were very good, but I'm not buying whole ones from Costco again.
They come in those multi packs and sometimes there's 4 to a pack, all about the same size. Other times there's only 3 with one really big one.
To top that off, the skin is often pulled loose.

Prepare your grills folks, Labor Day weekend is nigh!

We use Sanderson Farms chicken, no hormones or sodium involved usually very uniform in size although some times you do get a large one with the normal size ones.
Our local Safeway / Albertsons has them in the family pack for $.87 a pound on sale and you get about eight to a pack.

Looks guud Bob.
We get all our chicken from the store where we get baby backs & spares.
They sell a brand called Smart Chicken. It may be a little higher, but it is very much worth the extra $. Because its raised the old school way its all we eat now with chicken.

We used thighs for chicken tacos yesterday, and I had to decide whether to Vortex them or use the gasser. I went gasser. It only took about 10 minutes to grill them on the gasser, I would guess the Vortex is gonna be considerably longer cook time ?

And when I do these tacos again, I'm gonna buy boneless thighs. Easier to chop up.

I’ve found the half hour mark is just about right too. Going to a party on Sunday and the host asked me to bring my Vortex!
I’m a serious convert to the unit! It’s got to be just about the best piece in the arsenal.

Thanks Bob. Do you just slide the whole apparatus to the middle the grill once lit?
The Performer's gas assist burner is in the middle of the grill, so I fill the Vortex with charcoal, turn on the gas, and push the igniter button.
I suppose one could light a Weber cube or two, then dump in the charcoal. Or, like I said, start the coals in a chimney first.

Thanks again, Bob. I guess the burner is in the middle - I always felt like mine was slightly off center. Or maybe it's me that's a little off center. :p

Another thing I learned is if you have chicken all around the outside of the grate and you're using a vortex use long tongs and don't reach across the vortex to move them. The smell of burning arm hair is not very pleasant.

Last edited:
Thanks again, Bob. I guess the burner is in the middle - I always felt like mine was slightly off center. Or maybe it's me that's a little off center. :p
I'm sure you're well centered, Jim. :)
You are correct, the burner itself isn't centered, but the two flames, at least on mine, shoot out to very nearly the center.
I recommend the Vortex if you don't have one.

Funny you mentioned the loose skin on Costco thighs. Made three packs yesterday for family and did note that while the thighs looked good and tasted really good, the skin kind of came off the meat as you bit into it

I’ve been off center for years, I “usually” light mine using the two sheet of local fishwrap, my buddy used a cube. I wonder if that had any bearing on the full ignition? Ordinarily, I touch off the paper with a mostly full chimney and by the time I see “Afterburner” effect, the bottom is starting, if not fully involved.
I set the chimney right in the cone, never a problem.

Back