Top 2 finishing sauces for pulled pork sandwiches ?

John_H

TVWBB Member
I'm cooking pulled pork for about 30 people and thought I'd make a couple of sauces. Does anyone have a favorite recipe they could share? I'm looking for one thinner, spicy sauce, one non-spicy, and then I'll probably buy a bottle of the sweet commercial stuff. Suggestions?

I got hold of a bottle of yellow mustard based South Carolina sauce last year, it was called " Cakalacki Gold " . It had just won best sauce at 2018 Memphis in May. And it was great on pulled pork sandwiches. I need to order another bottle or two from their web site.

I just saw this yesterday on Meathead's site, a recipe for a South Carolina mustard sauce ........... can't tell ya if this is good or bad, I just saw it.

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/barbecue-sauce-recipes/columbia-gold-south-carolina-mustard-bbq-sauce-recipe

I haven't made this sauce for a few years, but it was always a fave at our annual Smokefest. I mopped the pork butt with the mop sauce during the cook and then made the finishing sauce from the leftover mop sauce.

Pork Mop
12 oz. beer
½ cup cider vinegar
¼ cup vegetable oil
½ medium onion, chopped fine
2 cloves minced garlic
1Tbsp Worchestershire sauce
1 Tbsp your favorite rub
Heat in saucepan to blend

Pulled Pork Sauce
Heat leftover Pork Mop
Add 3 Tbsp yellow Mustard
Mix 50/50 with KC masterpiece or other bottled sauce

Jeff

Can't recall where I got it, maybe spruce eats, but this one is very thin and pretty much all vinegar. We use it on the pork before we freeze the leftovers as well as on the meat before adding whatever sauce strikes our fancy.

1 Cup Cider Vinegar
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
1 Teaspoon cajun spice mix or cayenne, I use Slap Yo Mama because I have it.
1 Teaspoon Course Black Pepper
1 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes

I've strained it after it sits a while to remove the pepper flakes or my wife won't use it, but you don't need to. Going to try the one that Bob links to above with today's Butt. The only thing is you need to use it warm as it solidifies.

This is the recipe I use, with two minor modifications*:

EASTERN NC SAUCE
1 cup white vinegar
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp red pepper flakes
1 Tbsp hot pepper sauce (I use whatever I have, which is usually Crystal)
1 Tbsp black pepper

Mix ingredients and let the flavors blend overnight.

*To the above I add 1/4 cup ketchup and 1 tablespoon molasses, which makes it a little bit closer to a Lexington style dip, in my opinion.

Back