A question of great pork?

russ olin

TVWBB Platinum Member
Hey everyone!
Hope that you are all have had a great summer. And staying cool in this heat.
Always watchin the site, not saying much, learning as I get older. That way I stay out of trouble.
I wanted to ask? What is the best pork breed out there?
We have had Compac Duroc pork. It was good but lacked that pork flavor that I was looking for.
Recently have had some great ribs from our local meat market. They were Berkshire.
Had that flavor that I was looking for.
So what do you think everyone? We like Berkshire here at my house over Compac Duroc pork.
Its been a very hot summer here. 90* here today, 50-55 at night. 73 in the house. No AC
love me some Colorado.
Thanks,
Russ

Last edited:
Hey Russ..... I'm by no means an expert on pork, not even close, but I saw you pop up and wanted to say Hi. Always enjoy your posts. My only real venture outside of the local stuff around here at Costco, Safeway etc. is Heritage Pork. I picked up a few from Marin Farms when I was in the bay area. They were bone in rib chops (my favorite cut) and had the best flavor I've experience in pork. Very moist as well. Hope things are well for you out there!

I'm also interested in what pork people like. I have had nothing but bad luck with pork. Did some Shoulder steaks a few nights ago and they came out great, first success in a long time.
90* would be nice here, we are in or 19th day of over 100* in a row. Gets down to a low 80s at night. Just hate it! At least we have A/C.
Good to hear from you Russ, sounds like things are going okay for you guys.

Hey guys,
Glad somebody posted. Is always great to hear from you guys.
I'm not a pork expert either but a while back we ordered 8 Compac Duroc Pork spares on the advice of a guy on another site.
The ribs were a little larger, the meat was a reddish beautiful pork color. Yet the ribs I would give a B+. They seemed to lack that extra punch.
As stated, tried some Berkshire ribs and WOW! Exactly what I am looking for in pork ribs. Even though they are smaller & not for competition, I could care less.
I want to fix great BBQ for my people. Also Berkshire is what Snake River Farms sells. I did a whole pork shoulder a while back, same thing great pork flavor.
Just wanted to know what other people thought.
Keep on Q'n & stay cool.
Russ
p.s maybe Chris A can chime in here after all isn't he a BBQ judge, or maybe Bob Bass. I would love to hear these guys opinions.

I don't recall the breed of the last whole pig I bought from a local farmer, but it blows the doors out of any IBP ( supermarket ) pork.:)
Buy local and find a good meat locker in the area.

Tim

Good to hear from you Russ.
I was just thinking, younger folks probably don't know what us old farts are talking about when it comes to pork tasting like pork, not "the other white meat."
I really should seek out some local hog raisers like we did back in the 70's. Three of us would get together, each buy a 250-ish pound hog, slaughter and dress them. Then take them to a Kroger butcher, with a shop set-up on his property, for further processing.
That's what got me into curing and smoking my own bacon and hams.

Bob,
Good to hear from ya!
You are right Bob, as far as the pork its not all created equal. The call it the other white meat, but the Berkshire is a reddish color pork. So is the Duroc ribs I bought.
We buy chops at a small market a few miles from our home and the pork is very white. Yet, sometimes those chops are outstanding. Go figure.
I have no idea what type of pork they sell, will ask them the next time we go over there.
Its always fun to learn something new. I find it hard to beat the Berkshire at this point in time.

For flat out taste, I prefer Berkshire, but it is hard to find in my area. We used to have a local farm just down the road that I would buy from, but the family sold the farm last year and moved to a different state. I have a 'standing order' with my local grocery store butcher when he gets some Berkshire pork in, which isn't very often.

There's a guy over in Monroe who has really good pork that he sells at one of the famers markets. I've had his pork chops and they were amazing!
He had fantastic pork belly. I was buying it for $5.99 a pound, skin on. Meaty and good.
There's been an upswing in people buying pork belly from him, so he's charging $9.99 a pound now!
Too steep for me!

Back