My second Weber restoration - Genesis 2000 Redhead

Mikey B.

TVWBB Member
Since I caught the Weber bug I've had a standing search on Craig's List for free Weber grills. This one popped up yesterday and I'm going to pick it up tomorrow. Apologies for the low resolution pic, I forgot to download a high resolution pic from the Craig's List ad. I'd appreciate any comments on what I have here. I think it's a Genesis 2000. Maybe mid-'90s. I'm hoping the slats are real wood as I will try to restore them.

xgJCeEs.jpg

Last edited:
Yah, that is probably an early to mid 90's grill and that is real wood and it is a 2000. Likely they will need replacing however. But that isn't a big deal, many have done that on here with some really awesome results. But that looks like an excellent rehab candidate.

Mikey B, I have the same exact grill that I am currently working on. I plan to try and add a side burner and turn it into a 3000. The wood looks very questionable as Bruce mentioned. Mine was the same way. I replaced it with red cedar. The slats could have been saved, but I didn't want to take the time and effort to do so.

Yah, I just pulled apart a 2000 and found the frame to be in really tough shape so it is on the curb. All the wood on it was still in good shape and probably easily salvaged except that some of it had some pretty nasty dark stains on it that I doubt would come out. So, I will probably have to buy some new stuff and find another frame.

I disassembled the grill on the PO's deck this afternoon, took me about an hour and ten minutes working deliberately and carrying the pieces around the PO's house to my vehicle. The frame is pretty solid other than at the frame connectors which are rotted out and repaired with L brackets. This is my first Genesis grill with "real wood" and by the look of it the wood wasn't that great when it was new with knots and defects etc. Obviously not worth the effort to save so it will be replaced with clear red cedar.

One positive surprise was the crossbar on the frame next to the firebox was in really good shape and when I tilted the frame the firebox slid right off the firebox bolt. Weird.

The flavorizer bars were not the correct bars for this firebox. No matter as I will be installing new stainless bars and cooking grates.

So a question for the experts if I may. I want to refinish the lid without repainting. I was thinking of trying some super fine cutting paste to polish the existing finish. What do you think?

1t8kUzp.jpg

ui2yy2D.jpg

6sVP4gi.jpg

7AOXldG.jpg

Mikey,
Glad to have you on board TVWBB!

The Genesis hood is made of porcelain coated steel, like a classic bathtub or sink, so it cleans up accordingly. It is very tough, but not bullet proof. Most of us would go with Simple Green and 0000 steel wool (not something more coarse). Most of the time if you are patient, one or two cleanings with that will produce amazing results. However, I - and others here - have also used rubbing compound very effectively.

Looks like you have a really nice candidate for restoration, and since you are willing to spend on quality replacement parts where it counts, I think you will have a winner, long-term grill you will enjoy for years to come. Way better built and much classier than some fake stainless Master Forgery, Nexttorust, Charwhatever big box throw away grill:p!

Keep us posted with pictures. We all love seeing progress as it unfolds.

Last edited:
Yah, don't paint the lid, this is what you wind up with:

You can see where I scraped the black paint off with a razor blade. Do what Jon suggested and clean it up with a good cleaner and some #0000 steel wool. You will be amazed at how nice it will come out.

mIdB4QH.jpg

Mikey,
Glad to have you on board TVWBB!

The Genesis hood is made of porcelain coated steel, like a classic bathtub or sink, so it cleans up accordingly. It is very tough, but not bullet proof. Most of us would go with Simple Green and 0000 steel wool (not something more coarse). Most of the time if you are patient, one or two cleanings with that will produce amazing results. However, I - and others here - have also used rubbing compound very effectively.

Looks like you have a really nice candidate for restoration, and since you are willing to spend on quality replacement parts where it counts, I think you will have a winner, long-term grill you will enjoy for years to come. Way better built and much classier than some fake stainless Master Forgery, Nexttorust, Charwhatever big box throw away grill:p!

Keep us posted with pictures. We all love seeing progress as it unfolds.

Thanks for the advice on the #0000 steel wool.

I'm just far enough into my Weber grill infatuation I'm wondering if there's a market for restoration and upgrade parts? I expect I'm not the first person to think about that but it would be nice to be able to buy a set of red cedar slats ready to install, for example.

I'm sure I'm overthinking this as usual.

However, where do you get a replacement wood handle for the lid? Or does everyone fabricate their own?

Thanks.

Last edited:
However, where do you get a replacement wood handle for the lid? Or does everyone fabricate their own?

There is no where that I know of to buy replacement slats or handles.
Cutting and replacing slats is the common practice and you do normally end up
with a much better grade of wood than what was originally there. As for the
handle, most folks try their best to reuse the original. You can find posts here
that show you how to make a new one, however it is somewhat time consuming,
and I would say slightly about basic wood working skills or possibly needing a
couple of took the average guy does not already have in his garage.
From the pic you posted, yours appears to be weathered, but should be a good
one to restore.

Dave is spot on, I've done several with handles like that, and while the slats were not savable the handles just needed sanding and some refinishing. Good luck on your restore. you'll have a beautiful grill.

Last edited:
Genesis 2000 Side Burner

Love to see these get resurrected! The style of new models today is no style. Everything is metallic. We need color in our lives. I just finished restoring Big Red last week. Found her for $80 an hour away and I jumped on it. All we need now is the side burner upgrade and then I'll feel like it's done. We will have to pull one from another body as I cannot find it on the web. They pop up once in a while on Facebook marketplace or Craigslist, but just haven't been able to land one. Distance is typically the greatest hurdle and no yet has been willing to pull it and ship. Any help will truly be appreciated. Happy Hunting and Restoring!

http://photos.app.goo.gl/MLB34BsordHMJ1B57

hd2JPxZiq49b1PScA

:redgenesis1:

Last edited:
Hey Jim,
That is one nice redhead Genesis! If you really think you will use a side burner then keep looking. It will come along. Personally, I think I like what you have now even better. Great job on that! And, yes, a modern all stainless - often just cheap metal barely above silver painted steel - grill has none of the warmth, class nor the beautiful charm of a classic Weber.

Mikey, that is an EXCELLENT grill, I also have a 2000 (that I converted from a 3000). It's a really really great cooker. Rotisserie, some stainless rod RCPlanebuyer grates and RCP Flavorizers and you will be in business!

To Mikey and Jim: Have you used side burners before? I liked the idea when I restored my 3000, but ended up converting it to a 2000 because I always had something on the kitchen stove anyway (pasta, sauces, etc) so I'm always using the grill for meats / fresh veggies but never once did I use the side burner.

Also, when having a cocktail, it's great on the 2000 to rest your drink that extra distance from the grill itself, on the right hand side table of a 2000.

These are things that worked for me, your mileage may vary, but welcome to the 2000 club, great grills!

Mikey, that is an EXCELLENT grill, I also have a 2000 (that I converted from a 3000). It's a really really great cooker. Rotisserie, some stainless rod RCPlanebuyer grates and RCP Flavorizers and you will be in business!

To Mikey and Jim: Have you used side burners before? I liked the idea when I restored my 3000, but ended up converting it to a 2000 because I always had something on the kitchen stove anyway (pasta, sauces, etc) so I'm always using the grill for meats / fresh veggies but never once did I use the side burner.

Also, when having a cocktail, it's great on the 2000 to rest your drink that extra distance from the grill itself, on the right hand side table of a 2000.

These are things that worked for me, your mileage may vary, but welcome to the 2000 club, great grills!

I'm with you. There's very little I'd want to do with a side burner but I do want more table space than I have now with my Genesis Silver B.

I'm really looking forward to getting into restoring my 2000. To me it's the ideal Weber.

A silver B with double swing tables?

Since I found this great community I discovered what I really wanted was wood side tables. The style of the 1000, 2000, etc. is classic. Same with the lids. The original lid style is the best and the colored porcelain is so much better than stainless steel.

It's partly nostalgia for the '80s and '90s but mostly just how great the old grilles look.

I'm with you. There's very little I'd want to do with a side burner but I do want more table space than I have now with my Genesis Silver B.

I'm really looking forward to getting into restoring my 2000. To me it's the ideal Weber.

I agree, it is the ideal Weber. I have mine set up with natural gas, which is just such a relief for me because I HATED running out of propane. So now, I can do a long rotisserie cook without worrying at all about running out of gas.

You said it: It's the ideal Weber!

Looking forward to pictures of your grill when completed!

Here's my restore of that same grill:

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?59970-Could-Not-Resist

Slainte!

Tim

I agree, it is the ideal Weber. I have mine set up with natural gas, which is just such a relief for me because I HATED running out of propane. So now, I can do a long rotisserie cook without worrying at all about running out of gas.

You said it: It's the ideal Weber!

Looking forward to pictures of your grill when completed!

Here's my restore of that same grill:

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?59970-Could-Not-Resist

Slainte!

Tim

Awesome. I'm following an identical path. I picked up a free Genesis Silver B which is now cleaned, repaired and grilling, but not really restored. Now I have the Genesis 2000 Redhead which I plan to restore over the winter.

The Weber bug has bitten me hard, there are so many good grills going to the great backyard in the sky, you know you could save them all if you only had the time. :)

Seriously, I'm searching Craig's List constantly, trying hard not to acquire a third grill. But you never know. I saw a unicorn go on the curb recently, I think it was a Genesis Platinum with a stainless steel frame. Probably worth $1,000 and someone got it for free.

Last edited:
MIke, join the club. You have taken the first step and admitted that you have a problem.

MIke, join the club. You have taken the first step and admitted that you have a problem.

Haha, I was able to stop after the 2000. Well, and after a 1000 I did for my cousin. ..... And after re-doing the 2000 earlier this year ...... and I'm still going to spar varnish those slats ..... and .....

Back