Q1200 Gas Smell

Oscar R

I’ve owned my q1200 for 2 years, great little grill.

I’m not sure if I’m just paranoid but recently I’ve noticed a smell of gas whenever I’m using the grill.

I’ve tested for leaks and nothing was found. The only thing I have noticed is that the smell is coming from the gas regulator vent hole area along with a “hissing” sound.

Any ideas of what this might be?

Regulator diaphragm is leaking gas. Your regulator is bad. Have you tested for leaks right at the regulator?

I would call weber on that one. I would think a two year old Q1200 would still be under warranty. Otherwise, a replacement regulator is going to be pretty expensive. Your other option would be to convert it to a bulk propane tank with hose and regulator, but then you lose the portability factor.

Yah, but then you are getting a used one with no guarantee it will work and I don't know if there is a difference between Q100/120/1200 grills. I would try Weber first and hopefully get it free if not being assured it is the correct part. Ebay would probably be my second source though.

You can buy new things on EBay just as easily as used. So I have seen these new just as I stated for that price point

I agree, i'd call Weber. If they refuse to cover it because the 2 yr warranty ended, I wouldn't feel bad about pressuring them to cover it. This isn't a cheap grill. The Q1200 is $300+tax in canada and never goes on sale unless it's on clearance

Wow, there are people seeing them in Target stores down here for just over $100 US.

Wow, there are people seeing them in Target stores down here for just over $100 US.

Yup, rediculous. The local Home Depot was packing up all the summer seasonal stuff today. They had a skid load of Q carts with sticker price of $95. I asked the manager if they were willing to discount them. He said nope, they're being put away until next year.

Last edited:
Honestly the disparity between the price of a good used and a new with warranty makes the new not worth the $$$$ IMO but to each their own

Back