Found this surfing the net all about pork steaks

Guess the writer has never been to St Louis, the pork steak capital.
He acts like it's a new discovery. :rolleyes:
This statement sure isn't true around here:
"You probably won't find pork shoulder steaks packaged and ready to go at your local market."

You're right Bob, I think awhile ago I saw an ad in the paper for shoulder pork steaks but didn't pay to much attention as I was looking for pork butts. Going to watch for them now or get a pork shoulder and have it cut into steaks. Got to be better than the pork chops I've been getting or I should say using up as I haven't bought any in a long time.

Not a fan of the pork steak. I have never been able to have them turn out to where they're enjoyable.

LOL. I chuckled when they said to cut a Pork steak across the grain, like a Flank steak.

Tim

I'll stick with my way.

DSCF1280.JPG

My first cook in 08 on my 18.5" WSM was pork steaks and Moo&Oink hot links.
That was a quick one, cause I just had to get it fired up:wsm:

Tim

That brings back memories from when I was a kid growing up in Detroit. Pork steaks were a weekly dinner for a blue collar family. I always loved them pan fried and crispy!

Haven’t seen them in the market for years. I guess I live in too good a neighborhood now. :(

That brings back memories from when I was a kid growing up in Detroit. Pork steaks were a weekly dinner for a blue collar family. I always loved them pan fried and crispy!

Haven’t seen them in the market for years. I guess I live in too good a neighborhood now. :(
Pre-cut pork steaks are probably a rarity anywhere outside of middle USA, but I'm sure most butchers will slice a butt if asked.
Rich or poor, we all grill 'em here. :)

Publix (Southeast USA) carries Pork Steaks all the time. Gotta get my hometown fix on a regular basis. When we moved to Florida in 02 no one carried them but now they're everywhere.

Nice articles, gentlemen, next time I grab a butt I'll have the butcher slice it for me. I have an 8#er defrosting right now, not sure if I'll slice it myself.

Nice pics in the first article, & interesting brinerade (brine /marinade) in the 2nd. 3/4" thick in the first, 1/4" - 1/2" in the 2nd......

I see them more often in latino or ethnic markets. If butts are on sale they usually have a bunch sliced, or to order.

Tim

I see them more often in latino or ethnic markets. If butts are on sale they usually have a bunch sliced, or to order.

Tim

I thought the same thing yesterday! Theirs are usually available in several different marinades, or chopped with veggies, ready to fry, or plain. I <3 the Mexican Markets, I think about visiting them more often than I do.

Guess the writer has never been to St Louis, the pork steak capital.
He acts like it's a new discovery. :rolleyes:
This statement sure isn't true around here:
"You probably won't find pork shoulder steaks packaged and ready to go at your local market."

Just to support that, my neighborhood market here in Utah stocks packaged pork steaks, so they can't be that rare.

Back