Crispy Delicious Wings

Jim Lampe

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Using the vortex, this gadget is absolutely a keeper!

v1selMS.jpg

Chicken dusted with Owens BBQ Buffalo Wing seasoning

mWtoBMH.jpg

two strips of apple wood atop the Weber Briquettes

fw4vrLM.jpg

done in no time at all...

nwWiEwa.jpg

certainly the tastiest & crispiest wings we've had ever.
and the Vortex gets all the credit.
I'm sure I'll burn this thing out using as much as I do, planning on buying another very soon.

y86g8Nl.jpg

B60
Thank you for viewing!
B60

Very nice Jim, those wings look great. We use the living dog snot out of our vortex and I've had it a couple of years now and it's holding up extremely well.
Have you tried it with kettle fried thighs? Really crispy moist chicken and doesn't take forever to cook that's our favorite. Wings around here can run up to $7.00 a pound, thighs $.87 a pound.

Last edited:
Have you tried it with kettle fried thighs?
Wings around here can run up to $7.00 a pound, thighs $.87 a pound.
Thanks Rich, I have made thighs, but not KF thighs... and wings here are as much as $5 lb... I buy mine from the local Mexican grocer chain in Milwaukee.. Very large meaty wings at $3.29 to $3.59lb.

Good color on those wings.

JimZ, some say the Vortex increases the cook chamber temp. It does create high temps directly above the Vortex, but not on the outside of the grate, that's just my experience.

But I think it increases air flow and adds to the convection that already exists in a Kettle.

Especially, if the charcoal grate and bottom of the Kettle is covered with foil, then the foil is cut away around the inside of the Vortex. This causes thee air flow from the Kettle bottom vents to be directed inside the Vortex. And anytime air flow is reduced, it increases speed, so the air flow out the top is faster and then bouncing off the Kettle dome and flowing to the entire cook chamber.

Air flow and convection cooks meats faster and more thoroughly. IMO, I think crispy skin on chicken is aided by increased air flow.

And that's my theory, and I'm stickin to it :cool:

Last edited:
Thanks Rich, I have made thighs, but not KF thighs... and wings here are as much as $5 lb... I buy mine from the local Mexican grocer chain in Milwaukee.. Very large meaty wings at $3.29 to $3.59lb.

I meant to comment on those wings, there monsters. We have a little local Mexican store that has some great preseason meats but I don't know if they sell unseasoned wings I'll have to check it out. Those like yours I would gladly pay that price.

I think Lynn has the “action” of how the Vortex works explained pretty accurately. At least that’s how I see it too.
I’m sold on mine, the thing is made well and mine will be getting a workout this weekend. I have a birthday feast to do for myself!
My family said once “We don’t want you to have to cook for your own birthday!” So, they ordered some barbecue from a local place, I saw the bill and said “Don’t EVER do that again!!” It was good but, not over $100 good! I could have done a brisket and a butt, ribs and sides for that and had leftovers for a week!
Wow, that got off topic! Sorry guys.

Those are awesome wings Jim. I guess we will have to start looking for some wings since looking at yours. Great job Jim.

Back