Tri-Tip Reverse Sear

JohnA_Boise

Found a nice tri-tip at Costco and thought I'd give it a reverse sear. Used some kingsford pro briquettes and a first sized chunk of hickory. smoked @ 240 degrees for about an hour then pulled at 120F. spread the coals and heated the grill to 400. Then direct cooked the meat to 135F. Used weber mesquite rub and I really like it on tri-tip. Came out pretty good. Nice smoke flavor. Next time I'll pull it at 130 as it was just a tad more done than I prefer. I forgot to account for the meat continuing to cook after pulling it.

V3AYUZL.jpg

fIK15qT.jpg

Lid thermometer and grill thermometer perfectly in sync
F3rZDWo.jpg

z3z3Zh3.jpg

Xerg1Pc.jpg

Nice cook !

And that's amazing to get the grill and dome temps to agree.

I can never get digital temps to agree with analog gauges.

I can never get digital temps to agree with analog gauges.

Thanks Lynn. I have been finding that the dome temp gauge seems to come up faster than my digital probe but after the grill settles in for a bit, they both tend to be in agreement or within 10-15 degrees. I think it also depends on my placement of the digital probe. I tend to place it on the same side of the grill as the dome thermometer.

That Tri Tip is a beauty, both before and after. That grill is just remarkable. It must have absolutely killed you to drill the hole for your CyberQ adapter.

That tri tip is mouth watering. Any chance of some pics on installing your cyberQ? I'm really curious how you mounted the blower.

That tri tip is mouth watering. Any chance of some pics on installing your cyberQ? I'm really curious how you mounted the blower.

It must have absolutely killed you to drill the hole for your CyberQ adapter.

Turns out the Summit Charcoal comes predrilled with a hole in the perfect spot... right next to the gas burner tube. You just have to pop out a little metal plug that the grill ships with and you're set. Weber doesn't mention that hole in the specs anywhere that I can find but it is definitely there. I did a little digging online before I bought mine to see how people were installing the cyberQ and I saw some summit charcoal owners refer to it and show pics of it. That probably sealed the deal for me. I don't think I could have brought myself to drill into this grill and I LOVE my cyberQ so that may have tipped the scales to the kamado joe - my 2nd choice.

So glad I went with the weber! I can't see how I would have been able to lug a ceramic kamado around my backyard which is important to me.

7Q8j8f1.jpg

Last edited:

Back