Poor man's brisket?

Jay Smity

I've been seeing the price of brisket go up a lot in my area. It's honestly a bit too expensive now for me. I would like to know if there is a cheaper alternative to brisket that can almost mimic the texture, flavor, and long cooking times. Thank you!

The last one I got here (Costco) was $3.29/lb. Prime
Headed over there today for something unrelated but, I will check the price.

The price here in NY is 6.99/lb.
I can sympathize with you. That would be about $10/lb here. Last I looked ours was $6/lb for a point that was skinned wthin an inch of its life. Have to find a specialty butcher shop for fulll packers and they still want $6/lb. Rediculous.

There are sales here at the grocery store where I've gotten choice for 1.88 a pound. Usually my butcher is around $3.99 for choice and $4.99 for prime. I don't know if there's a much cheaper price per pound out there, but certainly a chuck roast works if you just want to cook less meat. I think chuck is maybe 4 bucks a pound here? It's close in price to brisket. I don't think it cooks quite as well. Usually a trimmed packer is a lot more and trimmed flats are probably closer to 7.

Having cooked a few Creekstone Farms Primes it's hard to go back to the regular choice briskets. They are still pretty good though.

Chuckies are on sale here tomorrow @ Meijer for $2.26 lb.
I just googled " poor mans brisket" and chuck roast followed by eye of round came up.

Tim

Chuckies are on sale here tomorrow @ Meijer for $2.26 lb.
I just googled " poor mans brisket" and chuck roast followed by eye of round came up.

Tim
Great price, I was getting them for under $4, but when I checked at a local store the other day they were $6.
I need to check the price at Costco.

I can sympathize with you. That would be about $10/lb here. Last I looked ours was $6/lb for a point that was skinned wthin an inch of its life. Have to find a specialty butcher shop for fulll packers and they still want $6/lb. Rediculous.

Do you ever go across the border to the US to buy a bunch of meats?

I watch "Border Security" on TV and from that, I understand meat can't come across. Having said that, it may be only meat from other countries (not US<->Canada). It CAN be brought in if country of origin (ie US) is specified on the package. If the brisket isnt cryo vacced, I assume its not allowed.

When you pay 5.95/LB or any cost, you double it for you loss 50-60% of the weight when you smoke it, so the actual cost is 11.90/LB. pretty expensive. Steak may be cheaper!!!

When you pay 5.95/LB or any cost, you double it for you loss 50-60% of the weight when you smoke it, so the actual cost is 11.90/LB. pretty expensive. Steak may be cheaper!!!

Especially when I can now sous vide my steak and lose nothing to moisture loss.

Can't do that with brisket. OR maybe you can? Its still being cooked (but no bark). I wonder. Full packer is not needed. Maybe just the point. Hmm ;)

There are sales here at the grocery store where I've gotten choice for 1.88 a pound. Usually my butcher is around $3.99 for choice and $4.99 for prime. I don't know if there's a much cheaper price per pound out there, but certainly a chuck roast works if you just want to cook less meat. I think chuck is maybe 4 bucks a pound here? It's close in price to brisket. I don't think it cooks quite as well. Usually a trimmed packer is a lot more and trimmed flats are probably closer to 7.

Having cooked a few Creekstone Farms Primes it's hard to go back to the regular choice briskets. They are still pretty good though.

Creekstone has a Labor Day sale in progress, choice brisket , 14 to 16 # , for $70. At 15#'s, that's $4.66 a pound.

They've got steaks and chuck beef ribs on sale also.

https://www.creekstonefarms.com/products/master-chef-choice-brisket-13-16-lbs

Back