Pan seared Halibut

CaseT

TVWBB Platinum Member
Last weekend I went over to the coast for the Toledo Oregon Wooden boat show. I had the opportunity to run up and go fishing with my cousin and got lucky enough to bring home a halibut!

Simple cast iron cook. Pan Seared and finished in a brown butter, white wine, lemon, garlic & caper sauce. Served over a bed of wild rice.

48584740717_07f2d19356_c.jpg

My Uncle and Cousins Boat, not me in the picture just a passenger. Had a total of 20 people passengers and crew on board, we had our limit in 3 drifts.

48584741157_9014264e7d_c.jpg

Okay onto the halibut. You need a hot pan, with 2 tablespoons of oil. Oil should be close to smoking before putting the fish in. Season both sides of fish with salt and pepper.

48584605737_fecdf4e41b_c.jpg

5-6 minutes each side. Remove halibut from the pan. Pour off oil, reserve 1 tablespoon in pan. (if using a different pan for sauce, pour 1 tablespoon into new pan).

I prefer to break out a new pan to make the sauce. My reasoning is that the hot pan usually browns the butter faster than I like. Preheat over medium heat

Into the new pan add 1/2 a cube of non-salted butter, melt over medium heat. Add 2-3 cloves of garlic finely grated. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Add white wine, squeeze the juice from 1 lemon, add 3-4 table spoons capers. Add halibut fillet to pan. Baste wit sauce until heated through 2-3 minutes. Serve, add sauce over top.

48584606547_1444a9412b_c.jpg

48584606382_5fc485df99_c.jpg

48584606467_362d1bda1c_c.jpg

48584606387_d5b05b93aa_c.jpg

Damn, that looks tasty! My mouth is watering. If I look at those pics any longer I'll be drooling.

Honest to gosh Case, I was just going to pull out a 1 lb. halibut fillet from the freezer, next cook. After seeing yours, I think I'll put it back and practice some more! That is just gorgeous and rivals anything I've ever been served at a topnotch restaurant. Wonderfully presented. I'll be trying your sauce too.

I'm hungry and I want to go fishing. That looks great Case, nothing like fresh Halibut.

Holy Smokes!!!!! That is one hell of an awesome post!!! That boat load of tasty Halibut! Makes me want to plan a trip to Oregon! Any recommendations of fishing charters up in that area? I've been to Alaska for Salmon fishing, but catching your limits of Halibut is just great!!! Fillet looks very good!!!!! You nailed it!!!!!

Back