Need help safely connecting LP gas tank

J Grotz

TVWBB Wizard
I have a side burner in a kitchen island that I want to hook up to an LP tank. There's no Weber gas grill involved, but there is a WSM in the diagram below, so I am hoping you guys can help. I know zero about LP gas safety. Here's the layout:

lexEDFU.jpg

I want to run a 12' propane gas line from the side burner, straight down to the bottom of the island, then across to the LP tank drawer (under the big SS-box-enclosed drawer) then up to the top of a tank in the LP tank drawer. The gas line will follow the crude red line in the pic. I have some fuel line insulation (from a drag racing application) that I can install on the gas line from the side burner downward where the LP gas line passes closest to the firebox of the grill. Is that necessary? The LP tank drawer is vented. Should I install another vent in the island close to the ground in the same horizontal placement as the side burner on the back wall of the island that faces the back yard? Do I need a heat shield between the LP tank drawer and the grill? The entire island is made of metal frame and cement board.

Here is the hose and regulator:

[URL="https://www.amazon.com/DOZYANT-Universal-Vertical-Regulator-Replacement/dp/B074WPX6BH/[/URL]

Here is the fuel line insulation:

[URL="https://www.amazon.com/Vibrant-Performance-25821-ExtremeShield-Flexible/dp/B00BT19XIY/[/URL]

Another question. Here is the connection of the LP line and the side burner:

vVVH60a.jpg

Should I use plumber's tape or dope on this connection?

The island is long enough to do a test fit of the burner, hose and tank. I plan to do my leak testing at that point. Do I need to repeat the leak test when it is installed inside the island?

Thanks for your help.

TL;DR
1) Is the basic setup as diagrammed safe?
2) Are insulation for the fuel line, additional island vents, or a heat shield for the tank drawer needed?
3) Do I need tape or dope on the connection of the fuel line to the sideburner?

1 & 2: What I would be worried about is a grease fire starting under the cook box and thus burning where the hose is running. They make a metal (semi flexible) hose that I think is designed for that reason. On Weber grills where the extra burner is on the opposite side from the manifold as yours is, they use that kind of propane line and it actually runs with a few inches of the cook box. That might be a better solution for you.

Maybe not exactly this product, but similar: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000I1AZJW/tvwb-20

3: That type of fitting does not require tape or pipe dope as it is a 3/8" flared fitting. Using tape or dope could actually cause problems.

Last edited:
Thanks, Bruce. I appreciate your input. I looked into the type of fuel line you linked to. I did not see any in a 12 foot length with a regulator and tank connector.

I’m not sure I see the risk of grease fire. That big black handle at the bottom of the grill pulls out the ash tray. It is heavy thick stainless steel and seals the bottom of the grill when it is pushed in. I have been using the grill for years and I have not had a grease fire in the ash tray. Also, that big equipment drawer is enclosed in and mounted to a stainless steel box. The gas line would be running underneath that box. So any grease fire would have to get through the stainless steel ash drawer, and the SS box-enclosed equipment drawer before hitting the gas line.

And thanks for the heads up on not using dope on the connector to the side burner.

Last edited:
Seems like you have it pretty well thought out. Just ensure the rubber hose doesn't run near the cook box at any point and you should be fine. The other thing that might be an issue is the length of the hose. I know that sometimes, there are problems when the regulator is too far away from the appliance. I don't know specifics or how far is too far, but do know that it can be an issue. Maybe someone else can chime in on that.
Good luck and let us know how it works out for you.

What Bruce said. The only time a thread sealant is needed/desirable is on NPT fittings. Flare nuts like you showed using tape/paste there could actually make issues. Also as long as the flexible line is heat shielded well you'll have no issues

Thanks, Bruce and LM. I did not know that about the flare nut connectors. I’m going to use a thermometer probe when I fire up the grill tonight to see what the temps are where the hose is closest to the firebox. Also, I’ve learned that I need ground level vents every 4-6 feet, so I will add two more to the single vent in the tank drawer.

Back