Hi There

Josh V

Hello all. New to the forum but have been reading around for the past few weeks. I recently was gifted a 2011 WSM 18.5 from a family member who no longer uses it as much as he should and wanted it to go to a good home.

I've never really used a smoker before and it's been a while since I've even used a charcoal grill. I own a Char-Broil Professional 3 burner propane grill with Grill Grates and tried using a smoker box on that with less than stellar results. I don't even use the Char-Broil much anymore but am really looking forward to the WSM and even getting back into grilling too.

I need to replace the cooking grates as they have rusted and I have a new door on order from Cajun Bandits. Everything else is in good working order other than needing a bit of a cleaning.

Looking forward to the community and learning even more.

Get you a Weber brand chimney starter if you don’t already have one. That and the starter cubes are the best and most convenient way to start your fire.

Welcome. IMHO, that 18.5 is the cream of the WSM crop! Cajun Bandit door is a great option and will reduce leakage and help with your temp stability, and, yes, get you a chimney and you’ll be ready to fire up.

Get you a Weber brand chimney starter if you don’t already have one. That and the starter cubes are the best and most convenient way to start your fire.

I second Chris! I'd also add that I recently got one of the smaller Weber chimney starters specifically for the purpose of lighting small handfuls of charcoal when using my WSM. I used to think it was a gimmick, but have come to realize how much more convenient it is compared to its bigger brother. Now I highly recommend having one of each!

Back