Second Generation Webers

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
Since I just finished the rehab on the one year old Spirit II E-310, I thought I would post some thoughts about it in comparison to the normal Silver B, Genesis E-3xx and the front burner Spirit E-210 that I did earlier this summer.

First off, there is no comparison in pure sturdiness to an older Silver B. The cook box is thinner and lighter, the end caps are the same and the lid is clearly thinner and while the ceramic coating didn't seem to be less durable than the older grills, it just seemed more like a heavy coating of paint than ceramic. The design of the Spirit II was very much like the three or four year old front burner Spirit E210 that I did a couple months ago. If not for the open cart, vs frame, they were basically the same over all design. The lids are also different. I think I actually like the new design better. But, I don't know why they gave the newest ones a "II" designation with such small changes.

Only one of the two side tables folds down which seemed strange. But, whatever. The were quite flimsy too. Setting food on them would be no issue, but when lifting the grill end up to move it (no caster wheels), I was always afraid the side shelf would break/bend.

I listed this grill for sale today along with a Silver B, black head today and already have a guy committed to buying the Spirit II for $295. The Silver B is only $245, but in my opinion, it is a much better grill and I can confidently say that in ten years, the Silver B will still likely be burning cow flesh while the Spirit II is probably on someone's curb for the Scrap Man.

Bottom line though, is that same Spirit II is way better than any Charbroil, Chargrill, Chinese throwaway grill for the same $295.

Oh, and I did cook a couple Sirloin Steaks on it before I rehabbed it and it did a great job on them. I was interested in getting my hands on one of these new generation Webers and since I did, I just thought I would pass on some of my thoughts as others seem to have the same curiosity as I did.

Bruce I have a friend with a spirit e 210 that he's owned about 3 years. I've used it several times. I agree with your assessment completely. It's nowhere near the quality of a 1000 or silver B/A. But it's light years better quality than the char broils, member's mark, nexgrill, etc type grills. I also agree the spirit II isn't much different although I like the open cart I'm the II better.

I'm looking forward to when you can get your hands on a genesis II and can give your thoughts on it. My brother has one and even though I wouldn't trade it for my 1000 I am impressed with the quality. It looks like a grill that will last 20+ years with reasonable care.

Yah, I would like to get my hands on a Genesis II as well. Just to see how much better they are built than the Spirit II. I think the frame on that Spirit II is going to show rust after a few years, open or not. Weber should have used the same type of paint they used on the 1000's and silvers years ago. This newer gray paint on the thin sheet metal just doesn't hold up well and even the open cart grills are basically just formed sheet metal about half or less of the thickness of the old frames.

Bruce,
Thanks for giving this assessment:cool:. I have seen a couple two burner Spirit II’s for $200. One was supposedly unused. I was tempted just to be able to do what you already have.

Seems that there are definitely some compromises to bring this one in somewhere near the entry-level price range. I have only looked them over at the store, but my impressions are similar to yours. I think if you take it for what it is that you are getting a very stylish (at least to me) grill that I am glad to hear also cooks well. You aren’t getting a rugged or high durability material one, though, so careful maintenance would be critical. I am sure we will start seeing some rusted versions of these pop up for cheap in the not too distant future. That doesn’t mean, though, that others well cared for won’t still be giving good service for years to come.

I am also interested in the Genesis II. I admit the open cart three burner with the extra sear burner and 9mm grates does strike a cord with me. From my limited observations I do think these are much better built than the Spirit IIs, although they have the same painted “frame” deficiencies that Bruce has noted.

I think Weber made a few style changes and slapped the “II” on these Spirits as part of an overall restart of their offerings. A Summit II can’t be too far off. I sure hope it is not a quick makeover but rather a complete redo going back to some Weber basics and higher quality materials that become an over $2,000 grill.

I might jump on a "never used" two burner Spirit II, but reselling them probably won't net you a big profit and if you have to do much to clean one up, then it definitely wouldn't be worth it. I will be selling this three burner one (purchased for $150) tomorrow evening (hopefully) for $295. I just had three or four hours of work and a can of spray paint in costs to clean it up.

I agree on the Summit. They need a good solid grill to keep their place in the luxury grill market. Basically, they should keep the design pretty close to the older summit, but fix the short comings and maybe add a little bit of updating to the styling, but not enough to require a total redesign.

Last edited:
I had a different impression of that open cart in the genesis II and spirit II 's. To me the gray paint looks like possibly a type of enamel? Possibly baked on? If so that type is typically pretty durable. And the diameter of the structural cross members of the frame is wider than on the old vintage genesis frame.

Typically when you increase the diameter of hollow metal tubing you increase structural strength and rigidity. And to me the frame actually seems more rigid and "sturdy" than the old frames. But what to me is unknown is how thick the metal on that frame is? You wouldn't be able to tell that without cutting into that frame to expose the metal tubing itself. The thickness would go some degree determine long term durability especially if it started to rust.

I guess time will tell us how durable these newer frames are.

I can only speak of the Spirit II. But, the "cross members" such as the slats for the bottom shelf are not hollow. They are three sided as is the legs and other parts of the frame. Also, the paint on them scratched just from using some simple green and a worn out green scratchy pad. It wasn't any more durable than regular spray paint. I found no parts on the Spirit that seemed like hollow tubes. It was all pressed steel.

That being said, the frames themselves seem fairly rigid, but like I said, the stainless shelves, the lid and cook box are all much lower quality and bulk than an old Spirit.

Thanks for the insight Bruce. I wouldn't trade my old X000s for any of the newer Weber's as far as I'm concerned the last of the sidewinder X00s were the last of the lifetime Weber's. Being old, slow and full of fleas I'll just toddle on with what I have and enjoy.
FYI I haven't seen a X000 for sale in this area for over a year now and Phoenix just a couple of derelicts for ridicules money.
Your wise to move up to rehabbing the newer models.

Sounds like a really tough market down there rich. I am still seeing the Silver B's and 1000's pop up occasionally for $50 and under around me. The problem is getting to them before someone else. But, it isn't like I really need/want any more right now.

Well that's not good if the paint is that easily scratched. I guess that's something that can't be ascertained by looking at it in a showroom or big box store. The frame on my brothers genesis II is holding up fine but its only 2 years old.

My guess is that they will look fine for three or four years and unless they are well cared for and kept out of the elements, they will start to show rust where the metal pieces meet and where the paint was nicked or scratched.

Back