Cook Box Paint

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
Guys, I wanted to post this before I get to listing my latest two grills on CL and FB MP.

I had bought this can of high temp paint last year for a grill but never used it. I have been holding onto it for the right project and when I got this Spirit II E310, which was only a year old and it relatively great shape, I started trying to clean some tough stains on the outside of the cook box. I was using coarse steel wool and simple green but it seems to be not quite as robust as the older cook box paint that Weber used. I wound up rubbing off an area about the size of a baseball down to bare aluminum. So, I knew I had to paint the while thing. They are that grayish color that no one seems to have a high temp match for but I remembered that can of Stove Bright 1200 degree paint I had. It is certainly closer than black, so I thought, this is going to be the project I use it on. It is #6201 (charcoal) color and no, it doesn't match the end cap and original cook box color. Not really even close, but better than flat or gloss black for sure. Anyway, as I was spraying it, it was sunny out and it looked like there were tiny metal flakes flying around. After I got done and looked at it, it did seem to have a kind of metallic look to it. I couldn't put my finger on it, but then I decided it was a kind of Gun Metal color and it indeed looked almost like a metal finish. It really looked cool IMO. I took some photos but they are hard to see because the cook boxes on these newer grills are mostly hidden by the shelves and frame. The only problem I see with this stuff is the price at almost $20 per can. But I really like it for a cook box and probably end caps as well.

ZkEfkme.jpg

Ez9hriC.jpg

7Bpk1GT.jpg

9BY55eC.jpg

JYofFQA.jpg

IeiNtFa.jpg

Bruce,

I like it a lot! On a more severe project like a beat up Genesis 300 if you painted the fire box and end caps I think it would look perfect to most people. I would prefer this charcoal over black myself for that application.

Too bad it is so pricey, but I am sure it is a good product and will hold up to grill temperatures.

Last edited:
I agree, that looks good. This is timely as I just ordered some of that to try on an S330 I'm working on. I've ordered it and pretty much everything else that's been tried on the 3XX grills and I plan on testing them all. I'll post results when I'm finished.

Yah, I agree guys. I think it might be a possibility for a "special" project or maybe a keeper grill. For regular flips, not so much due to price.

Bruce:
That looks fantastic. I think I'm heading for a paint job on my genesis sidewinder, especially the end caps. I think the darker grey will suit the grill better than the light grey. I know there has been a lot of discussion over the past year about prep before painting and I am wondering what products, etc. you use. Thanks. I think the darker grey will also make my blue doors and lid stand out all the more. Same with my son's dark green.

I like to use rubbing alcohol but better yet, I like to wipe down the piece with xylol before painting. I agree, a darker paint would look better with the blue lids.

Rubbing alcohol has too much water in it. Use plain old denatured or buy prepsol at a paint supply house for automotive paints. I don't know if that is the name of it any more but if you say prepsol any painter worth their salt will know exactly what you want

I tried some of the charcoal stove bright that Bruce's picture show above. Not much to add about the color, but (as shown in Bruce's pics) it sure does lay down and cover very nicely. I am going to try some of their satin black on endcaps/firebox if I ever find another old Genesis. I know the cost turns people off, but it would be worth it to me if I could get a decent paint job out of a couple coats of it versus 3 or 4 coats of Rustoleum that ends up all splotchy.

I agree Ralph. It isn't something I would use on regular flip grills, but for a really special one or one that I plan to personally keep, it might be an option. I did wind up using the whole can on the Spirit II E-310 cookbox that I painted.

Back