How to grill a perfect steak?

Jake PA

Me and my wife really enjoy steak from time to time and would like to learn how to make good steak at home instead of going out to eat. I recently bought a used Weber Genesis E-330. We will be getting our steaks at Costco, I usually go with a NY strip or a ribeye and my wife likes filets. Costco cuts their meat fairly thick (I believe around 1 1/2 inches). I like my steaks medium rare - medium and my wife likes hers medium well to well done which is something I don't understand because that is a perfect way to ruin a nice steak.

What grill temp to you guys grill them at about approximately how long?

Any tips?

I use a Kettle and my Weber gasser.

I put 10 fully lit briquettes on one end of the Kettle with a good sized chunk of oak or pecan. That gets me a cooking temp of about 210 to 220*. I put a Thermoworks probe in the steak and another to measure grill temp. I " smoke " the steak in-direct.

Here's the day after a cook ....... looks like this

ZoL0TOw.jpg

When the steak hits about 95* I fire up the gasser on high heat with a CI griddle.

And when it hits 115* , I move it to the gasser to sear on the griddle.

I sear till its about 125* and then let carry over cooking take it to 135*.

I've been very happy with the results. The only thing I might change, is starting the sear at 110* instead of 115* , depending on thickness of the steak.

I just bought these T-Bone and Porterhouse from Creekstone Farms today, 8 steaks , came out to about $16.66 per pound, with free shipping. I think just like brisket, a lot depends on the meat ya start with .......

https://www.creekstonefarms.com/collections/specials/products/natural-choice-t-bone-porterhouse-steaks

I used to get our steaks from Costco and they were very good. Now I wait until Safeway or Frys (Kroger) has their whole in the bag twice a year sale on bone in whole in the bag ribeye roasts. We have been amazed at how good they are. They will cut the steaks to any size you want for free, I get 1 1/4" and a couple of two bone roasts.
$112 got me a little over 28 pounds of great ribeye steaks, yes that's $3.97 a pound!
I use my kettle and take a large lit chimney of KBB and dump it on the back side of the grill. Steak is grilled indirect until it hits about 115 and then I move it directly over the coals for a minute on each side for a nice sear.
Both my wife and myself prefer medium rare to rare, as long as we don't have to chase it around the plate it's good.
I may try Lynns method,sounds interesting, low and slow for a steak might work really well.

Yes , that is an awesome price. My grocer has those meat sales also. I've always been adverse to freezing meat, but I'm getting past that , these days.

I have the 330 but I have the sear burner. I set up the two left burners and the sear burner on high and put the far right burner on low. Once the grill is about 600 degrees, I place the steaks directly over the hot burners, do 45 seconds then rotate 45 degrees and go another 45 seconds... then turn over and repeat... after that 3 full minutes I move the steaks to the far right burner that is on low and turn off all the other burners. I cook over the low burner until the steak is to the correct internal temp.

"Perfect" is in the eye of the beholder :D My idea of perfection would not be someone else's or theirs mine

The answer to this question is simple...give it to me.

And, of course, let me taste it and decide that it is perfect...

I have the 330 but I have the sear burner. I set up the two left burners and the sear burner on high and put the far right burner on low. Once the grill is about 600 degrees, I place the steaks directly over the hot burners, do 45 seconds then rotate 45 degrees and go another 45 seconds... then turn over and repeat... after that 3 full minutes I move the steaks to the far right burner that is on low and turn off all the other burners. I cook over the low burner until the steak is to the correct internal temp.

I have the same grill. You set the right burner as low as it will go?

Me and my wife really enjoy steak from time to time and would like to learn how to make good steak at home instead of going out to eat. I recently bought a used Weber Genesis E-330. We will be getting our steaks at Costco, I usually go with a NY strip or a ribeye and my wife likes filets. Costco cuts their meat fairly thick (I believe around 1 1/2 inches). I like my steaks medium rare - medium and my wife likes hers medium well to well done which is something I don't understand because that is a perfect way to ruin a nice steak.

What grill temp to you guys grill them at about approximately how long?

Any tips?

If I want a perfect steak and I have the time, I will always go charcoal over gas. The difference in flavour is truly worth the extra work/time.

Speaking for me personally, investing in a good instant read thermometer (e.g. Thermapen) really made a big difference for me in achieving perfectly done steaks. Takes the guess work out of it.

Yeah... "Perfect" is subjective, gas, charcoal, cast iron, oven, blah...blah...blah... I do know this, and if I can give you any advice on grilling/cooking your own steak, take this bit of advice from The Man:

watch

If video doesn't link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ua_v4BA3qM

RIP, Anthony. :(

This, mixed with the old adage "practice makes perfect," and you'll soon be your own biggest fan.

Last edited:
I know charcoal is the way to go for flavor but for right now I'll have to stick with my gas Weber. I do have a ThermoPop thermometer.

Depends on the charcoal IMO. Most briquettes leave food tasting like an oil refinery. Hardwood lump is the only way to go

Sometimes, I feel inferior while reading these threads by you experts. I season our steaks with Weber's Chicago Steak seasoning, PH the gasser or Kettle to 500+, and lay them down over direct until they reach temp. They rest, and then they are in my belly :)

Just did 2 tonight. A full chimney on one side of the Performer. Trimmed the fat on the 1.5" thick strips. Wife likes well done: 1.5 minutes; quarter turn 1.5 minutes; flip, repeat. Move to the indirect side; cover for 10 minutes. My rare got 1 minute; turn, 1 minute flip; repeat with the lid down.

I used to do the same thing with my old Summit. I will do the same thing when I install my new Summit

Just did 2 tonight. A full chimney on one side of the Performer. Trimmed the fat on the 1.5" thick strips. Wife likes well done: 1.5 minutes; quarter turn 1.5 minutes; flip, repeat. Move to the indirect side; cover for 10 minutes. My rare got 1 minute; turn, 1 minute flip; repeat with the lid down.

I used to do the same thing with my old Summit. I will do the same thing when I install my new Summit

When you grilled your steaks on the summit, what temp did you grill at? Did you have the burners on at all on the indirect side?

When you grilled your steaks on the summit, what temp did you grill at? Did you have the burners on at all on the indirect side?

Burners on high in the middle with the sear burner to get the char like the kettle. Keep those burners going and move her steak to the side and put the lid down.

My rare steak gets cooked as stated above but the lid is down for the 4 minutes.

If a steak is 1-1/2" thick or more, I'll reverse sear. Cook way on the cool side of a 2-zone setup until the internal is about 115°, then sear each side for a minute or 2 over very hot coals until the desire crust develops. For thinner steaks, I'll still go 2-zone. Sear the best looking side of the steak until you're happy with the crust. Flip and sear for one minute. place on cool side of grille until desired internal temp is reached. (About 130° for us.).

These are 1' thick ribeye, seared then rested on cool side.
Ribeye sear by Jeff Hasselberger, on Flickr

Back