Weber Summit Platinum D6

SDias

This past weekend I acquired a new to me Summit D6. This was from a good friend who moved and the house he moved to had a wolf built in.

Uwh4cEU.jpg

IOrEc3p.jpg

As you can see she needs some TLC.

This week I purchased: burners, flavorizer, igniter, knobs, wheels, and a lot of degreaser.

I also through my friend was able to reach out to Weber and aquire a new lid and cook box under warranty. After next weekend ( God Willing) I should have this beauty as good as new.

More to come.

Last edited:
Welcome to TVWBB!

I am not a fan of the current Summits, but that model is a much better one and the Platinum version you picked up is the best! Sounds like you are willing to put the time and money into this project, so in time you will have one really nice extra large grill. Hopefully you can keep the pictures coming. If possible try to use a photo sharing option where the pictures are posted right in your thread. Imgur.com is a popular one here.

Welcome to TVWBB!

I am not a fan of the current Summits, but that model is a much better one and the Platinum version you picked up is the best! Sounds like you are willing to put the time and money into this project, so in time you will have one really nice extra large grill. Hopefully you can keep the pictures coming. If possible try to use a photo sharing option where the pictures are posted right in your thread. Imgur.com is a popular one here.

Thanks Jon,

I am totally a newb when it comes to this.
I fixed it. Let me know if I'm on the right track.

GOT IT! Thanks for the help.

That's great! We will all enjoy seeing more pictures of your progress as you rehab this very promising candidate. I think you landed a special one for sure! Best wishes and don't hesitate to throw out questions that most likely someone here has already dealt with in the past. Hopefully, we can save you time and mistakes and make the process more enjoyable.

Well yesterday the mailman(FedEx Guy) brought me some nice goodies.
nIYvQnf.jpg

NGHwwSM.jpg

The logo on the Lid I'm not a fan of and not going to use. Ill just have to clean up the original and swap them out.

TESwWxq.jpg

I also received replacement Wheels, wheel caps and all of the replacement knobs. Not sure if the knobs were different colors originally but I might have to fix that.

More to come.

OMG. That is awesome. You now basically have a new grill. Not sure I can reach out to Weber for a set of new parts on the D4 I have sitting on my driveway. I think I have already abused the the Weber warranty to often.

My cook box arrived yesterday and I started the process of disassembly. That in itself was a process MOST of the bolts i came across were rusted out. I had to use my multi tool to cut the hood bolts off and the IR burner rain plate off as well.
ovRUb5V.jpg

368Jk0N.jpg

After a lot of sparks and profanity I was able to remove the original cookbox.
xQNvzIg.jpg

This is how she stands now as last night I had to take care of Daddy duties.
bbbrbQk.jpg

Hard to believe that they would skimp on hardware on a +$2000 grill:mad:

At least when you are done you will have something better. Make sure your hardware is 304 or if possible 316 stainless.

We are enjoying the progress! I know it is a LOT of work:D.

I also through my friend was able to reach out to Weber and aquire a new lid and cook box under warranty.

I am a little confused by this. How were you able to acquire that under warranty? Please correct me if I am wrong,
but isn't this the same grill that LMichaels has? I recall him mentioning that he was basically told to go pound sand
and they would not warranty it.

Dave
They said they WOULD warranty it but that sadly they don't make the replacement parts any more so I was SOL. My grill is a first gen Summit and this one he has is a 2nd gen Summit. That is why he has gotten so lucky

So I got a lot accomplished this past weekend and was able to further disassemble the rest of the grill and thoroughly clean every part and reassemble the grill.
QyA2vdN.jpg

mSwQULx.jpg

Here she is with the new cookbox and also the new painted plastics that match the knobs.
azkv6Wa.jpg

Burners installed
PoRLIJX.jpg

Also the new igniters and controls were installed.
CqkqCnr.jpg

All of the front panels on and also all of the new (direct from Weber) knobs and wheels.
YgWXeP0.jpg

Finally here is the base with a new drip pan and also relocated the new Serial Decal (Thanks Sean and Bruce!)
QFRzByY.jpg

Here she stands as of this am, not done still need to complete the cleaning of the grates and smoker.
She also still needs a buffing on the stainless panels and doors.
I added the lights which are a cool upgrade!
I also have a few more upgrades I am looking to add.

VMpT9gr.jpg

More to come

Back