Yes, you can eat your mistakes.

timothy

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Well at least for me:)
Wanted to do a homemade corned beef and I thought I pulled an Eye of Round out of the deep freeze. Defrosted it for a week and made up my brine last week. Cut it in half because it was long and weighed 8#. Dropped it in the brine and started cleaning up and suddenly noticed that the label did not say Eye of round, but Bnls Ribeye, yikes.

I thought about pulling it , rinsing it off and proceed to another plan, but I said WTH lets try this.

Cured for 5 days, then drained and rinsed and soaked in clean water for two days, ( changed the water once)

I wanted to do a pastrami roast so I sous vide it for 6 hrs at 160.
Cooled the bags in icewater while making a quick rub. Black pepper ground corriander, gran garlic and onion.
On the OTG @ 300 for 2 hrs with White oak and ash.

First half

The other half.

This turned out phenomenal! I thought I really screwed up but no.:)

Taters where also the star, sous vide @ 194 for 50 mins with some homemade garlic oil with fresh herbs.

Tim

Wow that's a beautiful plate Tim! I instantly related to your thread title. I've eaten plenty of my mistakes!

Last edited:
It looks great! I’ve eaten plenty of my mistakes! Sous vide potatoes sounds interesting. I am guessing you cut them first, tossed with the infused oil then, bagged and Sous Vided(?) for the time posted. Sound right?
Corned ribeye!? Seems pretty elegant!

It looks great! I’ve eaten plenty of my mistakes! Sous vide potatoes sounds interesting. I am guessing you cut them first, tossed with the infused oil then, bagged and Sous Vided(?) for the time posted. Sound right?

Yup, that's the method. We like B size reds, sliced, with salt, pepper, olive oil and rosemary.

A lot of my cooks turn out to be mistakes :p but we eat them anyways. I have to say Tim if that was a mistake it certainty was a classic mistake worth repeating.

Iv never made mistakes that came out that good, way to stick with your recipe.

Back