22 wsm

Jay Smity

I just got done making the basic bbq chicken recipe on the website. I put a whole chimney filled with briquettes, and half a chimney filled with briquettes on top of that. I had all three vents on the bottom open, as well as the top. I made three chickens. The entire recipe took 2 hours and thirty minutes to cook. Why did this differ so much from the recipe time? Does the 22 inch require more charcoals than those indicated on the recipes, since it is a bigger grill?

First - Welcome to the forum and congrats on a great first post.

In a word - yes. I'm pretty sure Chris did that in an 18.5. The 22 needs more lit coals to achieve the same temp as an 18.5. His temp at the lid ran about 310°. Did you have a thermometer measuring your grill temp? That might tell you something.

First - Welcome to the forum and congrats on a great first post.

In a word - yes. I'm pretty sure Chris did that in an 18.5. The 22 needs more lit coals to achieve the same temp as an 18.5. His temp at the lid ran about 310°. Did you have a thermometer measuring your grill temp? That might tell you something.

Thanks for the reply and welcoming. I was thinking that it was an 18.5 that he used. I did not use a thermometer near the grill grate, but I will use one for sure next time. I'll also keep an eye out for temp. Is there a way to know around how many more coals it will take, or is it a trial and error thing?

Back