Sweet 'n Sour Spareribs - 1976 South Dakota Pork Cookout King-Morten Kolsrud

Joan

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Going down memory lane. (Chris if this is the wrong place to post this, please move it.)

Sweet 'n Sour Spareribs

5 to 6 lbs. pork spareribs
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 jars (12 oz. each)chili sauce
1 cup grape jelly
1/2 cup sour cream
2 TB. cornstarch
1 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 tsp. thyme
4 drops bottled hot pepper sauce
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 cup finely chopped onion

In saucepan, combine all ingredients except spareribs. Over low heat, cook sauce until it gets a glossy appearance, stirring frequently. Place ribs on grill, rib ends down. Grill to low to moderate temperature 1 to 1 1/2 hours, turning occasionally. During last 30 minutes, brush ribs with sauce frequently.

Source: 1976 South Dakota Pork Cookout King-Morten Kolsrud

This recipe looks great. All the ingredients seem to make sense to me except the sour cream. Does the sour cream do something to the meat?

1976 seems about the same as when sweet & sour little smokeys were popular sans the sour cream.
I seem to recall my Mom doing ribs like this in the oven for my Dad.

Going down memory lane. (Chris if this is the wrong place to post this, please move it.)

Sweet 'n Sour Spareribs

5 to 6 lbs. pork spareribs
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 jars (12 oz. each)chili sauce
1 cup grape jelly
1/2 cup sour cream
2 TB. cornstarch
1 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 tsp. thyme
4 drops bottled hot pepper sauce
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 cup finely chopped onion

In saucepan, combine all ingredients except spareribs. Over low heat, cook sauce until it gets a glossy appearance, stirring frequently. Place ribs on grill, rib ends down. Grill to low to moderate temperature 1 to 1 1/2 hours, turning occasionally. During last 30 minutes, brush ribs with sauce frequently.

Source: 1976 South Dakota Pork Cookout King-Morten Kolsrud
Sounds like something out of Steve Hall's (AKA Shotgun Red) playbook. Interesting, but when the cost of the sauce exceeds that of the protein, I've gotta pass.

Back