Hatch Chiles

Jim Lampe

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Do you have yours?

ZVasfxo.jpg

veE5PdY.jpg

qdW8DWF.jpg

local grocer sells them now, even will roast them for you (for a buck a pound more).
I have some freezing to do now.

Haven't shown up here yet. I'll bag and tag a bunch when they arrive, thanks for the heads up.

2 pounds is now only 1.2 pounds after removing stems, some seeds and the roasted skins.
Think I'll go get more...

rQStjem.jpg

My grocer will have a hatch chile event on Aug 23 and 24. Missed it last year, hope to try them this year.

only one local chain in milwaukee area has them, Sendik's.
they charge $2.99 lb fresh or $3.99 lb roasted.
they actually roast them on site in the parking lot using a chile rotisserie roaster

26HhjU5.jpg

Last edited:
Haven't seen them at my local grocery store yet. Probably in the next week or so though. The last few years they have been $0.99/lb(!!), so I buy 5-6 pounds, roast them on the grill, chill, bag and freeze.

I de-stem and peel when I use them. Each year the amazing aroma of roasting chilis brings out one or two neighbors, who ask what amazing thing I am cooking.

I don't normally buy anything prepared by the grocery store to grill, but I saw this yesterday and since I'm new to hatch peppers, I thought I'd take a chance. Still don't have a plan on how I'm gonna grill/smoke this, the pork chunks are good sized.

3nyZUbJ.jpg

I don't normally buy anything prepared by the grocery store to grill, but I saw this yesterday and since I'm new to hatch peppers, I thought I'd take a chance. Still don't have a plan on how I'm gonna grill/smoke this, the pork chunks are good sized.

3nyZUbJ.jpg

I bought this on impulse and having a buyer's remorse ;)

Everytime I see them in the fridge, I begin wondering how I'm gonna grill em. Primary problem is how thick the chunks of pork are, by the time I get them done in the middle, everything else is gonna be burnt.

I'm open to any suggestions or ideas.

You could separate each of the items onto skewers.
I don't do kabobs very often, but when I do, the meat goes on one set, and like veggies go on others.

Pork cooks quick, so they should be done before the vegs are toast.
Prolly loin and just take them to 140ish.

Tim

My local grocery store has them now, and they are $0.99/pound. :)

Bought a big bag of them, and will roast them up this weekend.

Coat them with a good pork rub ?

Yea, something with sugar to balance the heat. I usually marinate mine, but that's either Greek or Teriyaki.
That wouldn't work with the hatch, IDT so maybe some Mojo Crillo or a Citrus herb marinade.

Tim

Yea, something with sugar to balance the heat. I usually marinate mine, but that's either Greek or Teriyaki.
That wouldn't work with the hatch, IDT so maybe some Mojo Crillo or a Citrus herb marinade.

Tim

I wish I'd had time to marinate, they would've been better. But as it was the hatch peppers were so hot I could not taste much of anything else.

But it was good.

I put some Meat Church Holy Gospel on them, and reverse seared them as I would a steak. Turned out well.

btk1w0X.jpg

YCDeLhL.jpg

Back