Intrigues me

Yah, I don't know enough about gas grills in general to have much of an opinion. But, isn't the Q300 what you would use for "quick cooks"?

Seems like a great deal for that price. Looks like the whole thing is 304 stainless based on their website. If its decently thick stainless it should be almost indestructible.

One thing to consider is replacement parts. Even if it is all stainless, heat can chew up stainless too? Has anyone checked to see if parts are available?

<scratches head> Bruce, at grilling temps, any [decent] stainless alloy should be fine. The 304 quarter inch rod stock I used to build news grates for my charcoal grill show no signs of eroding after 5+ years, with direct exposure to the coals, and even getting up to a temp where they started to glow red. Even the stainless expanded metal bottom I put in the charcoal tray doesn't show any signs of corroding or burning out.

There seems to be quite a few companies making grills using this basic paradigm. Other than the conventional burners it reminds me of the TEC grill I had for a while which was also all 304 stainless. Living in humid South Florida (where, Rich, rust is not only allowed it is CULTIVATED:eek:) I definitely get the value of all 304 stainless. Still, for my taste I actually prefer a cast aluminum firebox and the traditional Weber frame design. That’s what makes the ‘05-‘06 Platinum with its 304 stainless frame so nice.

Back to this grill, for that price you could afford to rustle up a few parts and probably have a great cooker you could leave out in the rain (and, for you all, the snow;)) and not have to worry about it. Since the company is still in business, I am guessing replacement parts are available.

Jon I do agree with you that cast aluminum is the very best option for the firebox. But High grade stainless is good too and light years better than the sheet metal so many manufacturers use.

Yep, I will see what things look like once I am there. I am going to try and get it cheaply enough so that if I decide to scrap it the value of the steel is still worth my trouble, time and $$$ of acquisition
As for parts as you see in the ad it mentions a company close by here in Rockford that sells them (Benson Stone). They are a company that caters to the hoyty toyty rich of Rockford. So I will see more today when I get to the house what I am looking at.
But b4 all that I have to get little guy to dentist this am for a tooth pulled, and then if he's up to it to day camp

Last edited:
I didn't see an email from you at all. I'm sorry are you asking about the guitar or this grill I posted about? Things have been pretty upside down as of late. One of my sister's has avery rare and aggressive cancer and things are not going well at all so I may drop the 8 ball occasionally as well

There seems to be quite a few companies making grills using this basic paradigm. Other than the conventional burners it reminds me of the TEC grill I had for a while which was also all 304 stainless. Living in humid South Florida (where, Rich, rust is not only allowed it is CULTIVATED:eek:) I definitely get the value of all 304 stainless. Still, for my taste I actually prefer a cast aluminum firebox and the traditional Weber frame design. That’s what makes the ‘05-‘06 Platinum with its 304 stainless frame so nice.

Back to this grill, for that price you could afford to rustle up a few parts and probably have a great cooker you could leave out in the rain (and, for you all, the snow;)) and not have to worry about it. Since the company is still in business, I am guessing replacement parts are available.

Here's an interesting article on cast aluminium vs stainless.

http://www.callthegrillman.com/outdoor-grills-101/gas-grill-components-firebox

Greg,

That is a really good article. I guess for me, the all stainless grills just don't have a look that I happen to like. I do like some of the first Weber grills with stainless hoods that still had the "Weber" look as far as a firebox and frame goes. I even like my Genesis Platinum which is mostly a monochrome stainless and light gray, but only as a "different" grill. Otherwise, give me a classic Weber any day. What WOULD be nice is if the frame, even if painted black, was all 304 stainless and like the guy in the article points out so well ALL the hardware was 304 (or better yet 316) stainless. It is disappointing breaking out the cut-off wheel on so many rusted bolts, etc on not that old Webers. On the other hand I also don't really want an all silvery, bland looking box for my grill:rolleyes:!

Yeah an all 304 stainless frame would have made those old weber 1000 and silver A And B models truly indestructible.

Yeah an all 304 stainless frame would have made those old weber 1000 and silver A And B models truly indestructible.

Yup, that's why I like my 05 Platinum Genesis C made into an open cart....304 SS frame (I believe) and aluminum firebox. Good article too btw.

Yup, that's why I like my 05 Platinum Genesis C made into an open cart....304 SS frame (I believe) and aluminum firebox. Good article too btw.

Yeah I've been on the lookout for a platinum Genesis for a while now. But there are very few vintage Weber models put up for sale in my area. Glad you were able to find one.

I do have a couple of questions. Was the conversion to open cart hard to do? And will a Genesis 1000 firebox fit on that platinum frame?

Yup, not really hard at all. The hardest part would be finding the wire rack for it (Weber 60145) as it's no longer available to order from Weber. You can find that part off of some Silver Cs (Weber 2291398). You can also order the OEM one if you can't find the wire rack (Weber 60431) but it's pretty costly.

Bruce, how much did you end up selling the SS Platinum? I thought you were going to keep it as your forever grill...?

Sam, no, I considered it, but just fleetingly. I just don't have the room or use for something that big. My Genesis 1000 suits my style just fine. Much easier to maneuver around and basically has the same cooking power as the Platinum.

Yah, I would not order a new rack...too expensive. Find a cheapo or free on curb Silver/Gold C to steal one off of. The problem is finding one that isn't rusty.

I sold that grill for $370. I was happy with that as I put a lot of work into it and the parts were significantly more than a regular rehab.
Here was my CL add for it: https://madison.craigslist.org/hsh/d/lyndon-station-sold-weber-genesis/6946573070.html

Back