First Brksket Cook In Progress.

Sid P

First Brisket Cook In Progress.

First of all, I offer a huge Thank You! to Chris A. and all the great people on this board. I've been lurking for three weeks, and have learned a ton! I did my first pork butt last week, but was so caught up in the process that I forgot to document it. It turned out amazing, and all the credit goes to VWBB and and Weber. This pic was taken the day after I smoked it.
DuvemUm.jpg

Today I put on a 12.4# (before trimming) Prime brisket from Costco at 8:57. I decided to use water with a foiled pan, but wanted pretty high temps so it wouldn't take forever. Brisket after I rubbed it last night. The Little Woman wanted Texas Style, so it's just kosher salt and black pepper.
M0xBE1Z.jpg

Right after I put it on I was at 129 on the grate, and the meat was 40.
At 10:02: 227, 118
At 11:01: 271, 151
The next pic is the noon update.
YbNXQTG.jpg

These remote thermometers are a sweet invention although I'm somewhat mesmerized by mine. I'm monitoring the brisket from my bedroom and have alarms set, but I still glance at it about once a minute.... I'll update about every hour or so.

At 1:00pm: 289, 178
At 2:00pm: 272, 185
At 3:00pm: 266, 194

We're obviously getting close. A couple inches from the edge the probe went through it like it was butter, but the middle isn't quite ready. I'm hungry and very excited!
lbLl2Cr.jpg

yyi2f2Z.jpg

It was at 199 for over an hour, and I took it off because it passed the probe/butter test. It was on the WSM for about 7:50. The wife and daughter said it was absolutely delicious, but I'd call it really good. If I had to choose I'd probably take pulled pork, but luckily life isn't like that. What's your favorite use for brisket leftovers? Thanks for all the help!

Last edited:
You sound like you're having fun. Be careful - this stuff is very addictive. Good job on the Pork Butt. :wsm:

Welcome, Sid! Awesome looking pork butt. Looking forward to seeing how your brisket comes along. Enjoy!:wsm:

You sound like you're having fun. Be careful - this stuff is very addictive. Good job on the Pork Butt. :wsm:

Don't I know it. I didn't mention it in my first post, but I put a "WTB" ad on Craigslist and was hoping for an 18.5", but after a week I only had one response and that was for a 14.5". I bought it and that's what I smoked the pork butt on. A week after that I saw a NIB 18.5" for $180, so I jumped on it. I'm less than a month into it, and I already have a little family....

Last edited:
Nice job Sid! Glad you are getting into the hobby. The WSM is a great smoker. You’ll want to add a gasser and a Kettle to the family at some point!

Great job Sid on both the pork butt and brisket. Chicago is a great area to BBQ. My favorite thing to do with leftover brisket is to put it over "Cup of Noodles" and whatever vegetables I can find in the refrigerator or freezer (frozen peas or corn). It is definitely a guilty pleasure. A mix of high effort and low effort cooking.

Back