Steaks on a Weber Genesis E-330

Jake PA

Hi Guys! I just picked up a used Weber Genesis E-330 with the sear station on Letgo the other day for $400. The grill is in pretty good shape overall and looking forward to many years of grilling with it.

This is my first grill with a sear station and wanted to ask how many of you actual use the sear station? I would like to grill some steaks, how do you guys grill your steaks? I will mostly likely get my steaks from Costco (Filet Mignon for my wife and NY strips or Ribeye's for myself) and they usually come about 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 thick

Hi Jake, I too have a Gen 330 and use the sear station and the #1 burner together. I cook the steaks with the lid up for about 7 or 8 min a side. The steaks are the same ones you get from Costco. I get a great sear and wonderful grill marks, but most important, the flavor is outstanding. Try rubbing some garlic oil on the steaks and then salt pepper and Santa Maria seasoning ( Google the seasoning). I hope I've given you some help.

Bill

Curious why with the lid open, I would imagine the temp inside the grill would be too low? I will have to look into that Garlic Oil and Santa Maria Seasoning as that does sound very good? Have you tried Montreal Steak Seasoning, wonder how the Santa Maria would compare to that?

Hey Jake, Why the lid open? I'll get flamed for this but there is the right way, the wrong way, and then my way. When I cook a steak I want to grill it not bake it. With the lid open I get plenty of heat to make a nice sear. I also always use Grill Greats (easy Larry I'm old) which really add to the flavor and the sear. Now I live in SoCal and it's normally about 78* 80*, warm enough so heat is not wanting. Lid open works for me Jake, try it, it may work for you also. Yes I've tried Montreal Steak Seasoning however, I've found the Santa Maria to have a much better flavor. Good luck with your cooks.

Bill

Last edited:
Curious why with the lid open, I would imagine the temp inside the grill would be too low? I will have to look into that Garlic Oil and Santa Maria Seasoning as that does sound very good? Have you tried Montreal Steak Seasoning, wonder how the Santa Maria would compare to that?

ON a grill that is operating properly, grilling lid open has advantages. Heat is produced only on the bottom, the flavor of burning fats don't permeate quite as strongly which (IMO) is s slightly nicer flavor. This is not just with steaks either. I many times fall back on this method with various seafood, other types of meat as well as beef and of course burgers.
There is room for both types. Just yesterday I was doing some beautiful butt steaks at my dad's house on his old Genesis 3000 and they were lid up. By the same token though I do things lid down just as often. Of course some things have to be lid down. Low and slow for instance, pizzas and so on.

I will mostly grill with the lid down because often times it's either too cold to have the lid open or raining but I will have to try the open lid method when I get a chance.

Open lid for the sear makes perfect sense, but, you need to accept the responsibility to get through the learning curve and not ruin more than one cook!
It’s a good method, charcoal or gasser.
I’ve never used anything with a seat station but, I can see it’s value.
I have the same weather concerns as you do Jake! Winter, cold as a mother in law’s heart, summer...rain can happen at a moments surprise!

Back