Beef Liver

+1 on that. The buttermilk soak will drive down the metallic taste, and it's hard to go wrong with country gravy and mushrooms. Only thing I could add is to put the whole thing on some sandwich bread and enjoy it.

I've actually grilled beef liver. Turns out really good. Just ensure you oil the grates thoroughly. Wrap up some onions in a foil pouch with butter for liver and onions

I've actually grilled beef liver. Turns out really good. Just ensure you oil the grates thoroughly. Wrap up some onions in a foil pouch with butter for liver and onions

Late adding my 2 cents. Yes, yes, yes, ONIONS!!!!! DH won't eat the liver but he will cook it for me. Just coated in flour, cooked in a little bacon grease, and lots of sliced onion, all in a skillet. And of course, homemade gravy, enough to drown the liver and onions and lots of mashed potatoes and a delicious green of your choosing. (I like it with spinach or fordhook lima beans with lots of butter). That is one of my favorite dinners.

I love my liver fried with tons of onions. We have not had it for a while as it stinks up the house. Guess I could use the side burner or griddle outside. There are a couple restaurants around that do it right.

Liver with a load of onions, dredged in seasoned flour and fried to a crisp in hot lard or bacon drippings. I can't believe that after being a beef liver lover for most of my life, I've never thought of chicken fried liver with country gravy and a pole of mashed spuds! Liver is going to the top of my shopping list right now.

Can you tell me how to make this gravy? My Son asked to try beef liver, so I bought one from Wild Fork the other day. Thanks!
After you cook the liver and onions, take them out of the skillet, add a little butter, and brown some flour. Then slowly add some beef stock until it reaches the consistency of gravy that you like. DH sometimes adds a little garlic powder and of course S & P.

Liver with a load of onions, dredged in seasoned flour and fried to a crisp in hot lard or bacon drippings. I can't believe that after being a beef liver lover for most of my life, I've never thought of chicken fried liver with country gravy and a pole of mashed spuds! Liver is going to the top of my shopping list right now.
I love beef liver but can not stand chicken liver.

Here is the recipe I mentioned on another thread.

Liver with Orange Sauce

2 TB. butter
1/2 onion, sliced
4 slices calf liver
salt and pepper
2/3 cup orange juice
2 tsp. cornstarch
3 oranges, sectioned

1. Heat butter in pan. Add onion and cook until tender, but not brown. Sprinkle liver with salt and pepper and brown quickly on both sides in pan. Add juice to pan and simmer, covered, until meat is tender, about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove liver to serving plate.
2. Blend cornstarch with one TB. cold water. Add to pan liquid and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and comes to a boil. Add orange sections and stir over low heat until orange is heated. Spoon sauce over meat. Serves 4

Source: Citrus Lovers Cookbook - Bruce and Lee Fischer-1993

I like beef liver (breaded, fried) occasionally - but I absolutely love fried chicken livers.

Back