Sprit 210 with Amaz-N-Tube - Temp Too Hot

AlanD

I recently moved to a condo with a small balcony and had to give up my smoker. I bought a Spirit II E-210 and a Amaz-n-tube for smaller smokes. I gave it my first go last weekend, but had trouble controlling the temperature. I had the grill turned off, but the tube alone took the temperature over 300, so I had to keep going out an opening the lid to bring it back down. Is there a way to keep the temperature down to a consistent 225-250?

I would think with one burner on low you could keep it that low, but I don't even know what an Amaz-n-tube is.
I guess you could prop open the lid slightly during the cook if necessary.

I have had my smoker tube get carried away, too. Maybe on a smaller grill you would do better with the foil packet trick. Just wrap a smaller amount of chips or I suppose pellets into a tight package of foil, put a just 2 or 3 SMALL holes in. Set that over a flavorizer bar. You can make several and swap as needed when one stops smoking. A small foil package wrapped that way won’t produce so much heat.

AlanD
Are you using wood chips? It is made to use pellets that just smolder and produce smoke but very little heat, which is the whole idea. I use mine in a cold grill to cold smoke cheese and it only increases the temp in the grill a few degrees, let alone 300. Since you light it before placing it in the grill, when I use it in a hot grill I place it away from the burner, on top of the grates, as I am not trying to have it catch fire, unlike using wood chips which need the heat to start smoking. Hope this helps, Richard.

Back