Save the Monarchs!

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
My flower loving wife planted a milkweed plant this spring, and we have at least 7 Monarch butterfly caterpillars.

Very cool. Several years ago we had a bush that was full of these caterpillars. We brought several of them inside and put them into an old fish aquarium. This photo was from the morning they started to exit their cocoon. Our kids let them all go later that day.

48539998837_45bcdc100e_z.jpg

Very cool. Several years ago we had a bush that was full of these caterpillars. We brought several of them inside and put them into an old fish aquarium. This photo was from the morning they started to exit their cocoon. Our kids let them all go later that day.
Great photo Todd!
I hope to catch some in that stage.

Monarchs have become exceedingly rare up in these parts. Can't remember the last time I saw one. We do still get the occasional Swallowtail however.

Excellent photos, guys! We don't see as many monarchs here now as in the past, it seems. I pulled out my old Nikon d90. Hoping to catch some pics if anything interesting shows up. Keep the photos coming, Bob and others!

A friend of mine has monarch caterpillars in his garden. I've seen the butterflies in my gardens but no caterpillars. Have plenty of milkweed. Here's a photo taken a couple of years ago of the black swallowtail caterpillars that were in my parsley.

uNh86Nb.jpg

I wish I could keep flowers alive.

Few years ago, I bought a packet of Zennia seed on sale. I raked up the dirt , spread the seed, kinda halfass covered them up .... kept em watered and they grew.

Since then, after the first freeze, I cut off all the flowers and put them in a ziploc bag. Next spring, I grind em up and spread em out over raked soil.

Doesn't take a lot of time. I think it helps my garden. Hard to tell for sure. But really, by the time the zennia bloom, my tomato plants have already reached their peak production and are on the way down. But if I growing something like okra or some other plant that produces in summer heat, then it might help

Back