Help with an old BBQ show

Steve Whiting

TVWBB All-Star
At least 10 years ago I saw a one-time show about the history or BBQ on cable TV. I think it was either the History Channel or the Learning Channel. If memory serves correctly it was 1 hour long and had experts in the history of BBQ talk about BBQ past and present. It discussed how George Stephens started Weber and gave birth to the Sunday backyard BBQ. It featured such experts as Carolyn Wells from KCBS and Author Lolis Eric Elie discussing the early days of BBQ. This video really inspired me to get into BBQ and I would love to see it again. It is so much better then the crap I see on tv today with all the faux bbq competitions (pitmasters, chopped, etc). Anyone here know of the show I am referring to any maybe have a link to it online somewhere?

Also,
I remember a one-time show around the same time that followed a single BBQ competition. It had Myron Mixon before he became a TV star. It also had Bubba Latimer from Bub-ba-Q', Tommy Houston from Checkered Pig, and possibly Tuffy Stone although I am not sure about that one. I think this might have been hosted by Keegan Gerhard. This video was quality and did not include all the trash talk and producer created drama you get now days. Anyone remember this show?

Last edited:
Sorry but, I am mystified by any of the “query” or direction of the post above. Maybe, I am simply too old?
When I started grilling, or ANY more involved style of charcoal cookery, the folder included with a kettle was IT! Read as much as you can here and, the “information” will be head and shoulders over what was available 10 years ago.

Sorry but, I am mystified by any of the “query” or direction of the post above. Maybe, I am simply too old?
When I started grilling, or ANY more involved style of charcoal cookery, the folder included with a kettle was IT! Read as much as you can here and, the “information” will be head and shoulders over what was available 10 years ago.

Yes, you are too old. :D

There are lots of cool barbecue videos out there that are really interesting and that one can learn from.

I was unable to find the videos that Steve is looking for, but I found these, which are a blast from the past:

In this first one, Bourdain spends some time with Paul Kirk, the guy who taught me a lot about making barbecue.

A Cook's Tour - S02E07 - The BBQ Triangle
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3itmml

Modern Marvels S12E21 BBQ Tech
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOv_AtdmOEY

Steve's not looking for grilling/barbecue advice, he's very well accomplished at both.
He's looking for a nostalgia journey. Not sure how you could read his post any other way. :confused:

Yes, you are too old. :D

There are lots of cool barbecue videos out there that are really interesting and that one can learn from.

I was unable to find the videos that Steve is looking for, but I found these, which are a blast from the past:

In this first one, Bourdain spends some time with Paul Kirk, the guy who taught me a lot about making barbecue.

A Cook's Tour - S02E07 - The BBQ Triangle
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3itmml

Modern Marvels S12E21 BBQ Tech
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOv_AtdmOEY

Great videos, that's when the Food Network had shows worth watching.

At least 10 years ago I saw a one-time show about the history or BBQ on cable TV. I think it was either the History Channel or the Learning Channel. If memory serves correctly it was 1 hour long and had experts in the history of BBQ talk about BBQ past and present. It discussed how George Stephens started Weber and gave birth to the Sunday backyard BBQ. It featured such experts as Carolyn Wells from KCBS and Author Lolis Eric Elie discussing the early days of BBQ. This video really inspired me to get into BBQ and I would love to see it again. It is so much better then the crap I see on tv today with all the faux bbq competitions (pitmasters, chopped, etc). Anyone here know of the show I am referring to any maybe have a link to it online somewhere?

Also,
I remember a one-time show around the same time that followed a single BBQ competition. It had Myron Mixon before he became a TV star. It also had Bubba Latimer from Bub-ba-Q', Tommy Houston from Checkered Pig, and possibly Tuffy Stone although I am not sure about that one. I think this might have been hosted by Keegan Gerhard. This video was quality and did not include all the trash talk and producer created drama you get now days. Anyone remember this show?

The first BBQ Pitmasters aired 10 years ago and that's the first time I had heard of any of those folks. Season 1 followed 7 teams competing in BBQ competitions. Mixon, Stone, Trigg, Geer, Soo, and Whippen. I never heard of Bubba Latimer and Tommy Houston. Is it possible that you're having mixed memory on your second show.

Back