Annoying

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
Has any of you flippers out there dealt with this issue before. You find a good deal on CL or FB MP and contact the seller and make arrangements to pick up the grill only to get a reply later on that a family member, relative or friend decided to take the grill. It has happened to me three times this summer. I know darn well what happened most of the time is that someone else contacted them and when they said it was already spoken for, they offered more for it and the seller bit.

I have had that happen a couple times on the grills I am selling where someone committed to coming to buying the grill and then someone else contacted me and offered more. But, I didn't bite. I just don't feel right doing that to someone else. I have also arranged to buy an item and have the seller contact me saying that someone offered more and he took it. I am still disappointed, but it doesn't upset me if they don't lie about it. That happened on a new looking Craftsman push mower. The guy was selling it for $25 and I made arrangements to pick it up the next morning. He emailed me back a few hours later and said he had 16 others contact him within a couple hours after me and then he realized he was selling it way too cheap....I gave him a friendly reply and that was that.

Just venting. It just happened to me on a $30 nearly brand new looking Q1200 red top. But, I really don't need it and it wouldn't have been a big flip profit anyway. I also hope that the other guy winds up not showing up.....hahaha

Greed is a fact of life, the sense of honor that you and I seem bound to are fleeting faster and faster everyday. I make a deal, don’t change the deal! Greedy weasels will always be among us, we must strive to be the “better men” and be honorable.
I’ve been caught with that kind of thing a few times and it made me VOW TO NEVER pull that lousy thing on anyone. Try selling vintage instruments and see how weird things can get!

Yes this happens all the time. People put stuff out there for dirt cheap until they get flooded with requests and notice they could have asked a lot more. Ads being pulled only to show up again with much higher prices.

The guy was selling it for $25 and I made arrangements to pick it up the next morning. He emailed me back a few hours later and said he had 16 others contact him within a couple hours after me and then he realized he was selling it way too cheap....I gave him a friendly reply and that was that.

This happened to me but I was the seller. Listed a 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/235K miles for $500 back in 2007. Wow, my phone/email was going crazy with all of the people interested in it. I did let it go for that amount to someone. Even though the car was cheap, I felt that there were too many rattles/noise to try to get more and I didn't want the person to come back at a later point feeling that they were taken advantage of. No regrets on that deal.

And I have had just as many or more times someone agree to buy and never show up. So for me................."Show Me The Money" though I still tend to err on being a nice guy

I'm selling a Ranger on Craigslist right now, and I'm wondering if the guy who promised to come look at it today will flake. Fun fun!

Probably smokes as well as any WSM out there.

Hardy har! I actually replaced the cylinder head on the Ford Ranger, only to discover that the frame is deteriorated to the degree that it won't pass inspection in PA. So, of course, I went out and found another Ranger that does not have frame rot. The old Ranger will pass inspection in NJ, which is 30 minutes from here, so as long as I find a buyer there I'll be fine. Also, it's not going to split in half or anything, but it just won't pass inspection here in PA. It will pass in NJ, and I disclose the issue to all potential buyers.

All that being said, I would rather have a Weber Ranger, and I would really like to *not have this Ford Ranger taking up a parking spot in the driveway!

And, of course, my guy who said he would come take a look today ..... flaked.

Fun!

Well, I had a guy offer me $120 for my Q320 Green Head rehab that is listed for $185. Annoying.

Back