Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Added a Performer to my backyard last night

TVWBB Member
    I've had a few cooks and last night I used the Slow n' Sear. It was also the first time I used the Weber chimney. The grill came with Match Light, which has a smell to it. Picked up some of the blue bag and Weber starter cubes. I was amazed at how well the chimney lights up and gets the charcoal ready to cook. I'll probably default to that method going forward. As for the SNS, I mostly followed the directions. I didn't have the attachment to properly measure the interior heat, so I propped my Weber iGrill thermometers on some foil and did my best to achieve 250 degrees. I'm still not using iGrill right, so used a Thermopen to check temps throughout, flipping the at 80 degrees and pulling them off at 115. I fired up a full chimney of coals, coated the steaks with olive oil, pepper and seared each side 1 minute each x 2. I did make the mistake of putting them on them a hot grill at first. Here are the results.

Q: Does the stock grate allow you spin? I'm using the cold grate method and it seemed to be difficult spinning this around.

TVWBB Pro
    That’s a fine looking steak you got there! Potato looks good as well. Nice work!

TVWBB Honor Circle Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    I’ve never used the spin method myself but, the grate can be rotated easily enough. Round grate, round grill, no problem.
    Steak looks just about right for my taste!
    Last edited by Timothy F. Lewis; 08-18-2019 at 10:45 AM.
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

Great results!

The stock Performer hinged grate (mine at least) will let you spin a little, but not a complete circle. I haven't cared enough to investigate, but I think there are pieces of the wire grate that extend down from the grate handles, and those catch on the kettle 'tab' that the grate rests on, if that makes sense.

I actually use that to my advantage when brushing the grill grate off before cooking; it will only spin so far then 'locks' in place.
    (AH)-Black, ThermaPen Classic-Red, Weber 6707 Deluxe Tool Set, Weber 6645 Travel Tool Set, Weber 6469 Premium Grilling Rack

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Bob Correll's Avatar
    I really like the side flips and opening on a gourmet system grate, the not as easy to clean thing is ok with me as a trade off. I only remove the whole cook grate for cleaning the sweeps and bowl.

In case some of you hadn't noticed, on the Performers with the thermoset tables, on the back side of the cart is a slot for hanging the grate by its handle. Not sure if the newest models have it.

TVWBB Olympian
    Yup, a bit of grate hangs down. Reminds me to cut mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Correll View Post
    In case some of you hadn't noticed, on the Performers with the thermoset tables, on the back side of the cart is a slot for hanging the grate by its handle. Not sure if the newest models have it.
    LOVE that little feature! It's just a dumb little slot, but boy howdy is it handy. If anyone if keeping score, mine has the thermoset table.
    (AH)-Black, ThermaPen Classic-Red, Weber 6707 Deluxe Tool Set, Weber 6645 Travel Tool Set, Weber 6469 Premium Grilling Rack

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12