Rotisserie rubbing advice needed

George Si

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi,
I sent a picture to Weber of my Silver B lid missing paint near the left side of the handle. Next thing they send me a replacement. But the replacement is a newer style lid with the thermometer in the middle, and the lid is wider(they even send a new wider swinging basket). I called and told them it is not the same lid, but they said it will fit. I don't really like the color and the classic look is gone. They also said they don't have any of the older lids anymore. I am not complaining but my problem is the rotisserie skewer. I have a One Grill rotisserie kit and no matter what I do the skewer rubs on the lid. I can move it out some but it always finds itself back rubbing against the new lid to the point of grinding away the paint/metal. Sending pics of the 2 lids and the grinded down section(after only one use)
LKgo0Fq.jpg

ZHPE28a.jpg

YUs7gvu.jpg

Does anyone know if you can still get the 2001 year Mica Green touchup??
Thanks. Waiting for your valued suggestions George

Wow, they sent you a new lid for a 2001 grill????
Your pictures didn't show up so it is hard to tell what you problem might be. When you get photos showing up, it will be easier to figure out what might be wrong.

You might want to find an old style lid instead of using the new one that Weber sent you.

I will try to resend
ieEaCl6.jpg

wPz7Pg7.jpg

MCce6lW.jpg

As I mentioned it is a small section near the left side of handle where paint is incomplete...I think the old lions are nicer. No, they only sent a new lid assembly, not a complete grill. George

Last edited:
Yah, but even sending a new lid on that old of a grill is surprising.

Can you show a picture of how the roto is rubbing on the lid end cap?

Sending three pics. one the difference in width, a second with the way the rotisserie starts off, and the third how the rod moves toward the lid and rubs and actually lifts the lid a bit when the corner hits the lid......Thanks George
dXOoUSY.jpg

RWV8Zqq.jpg

KQtQc90.jpg

Also the old lid being narrower there is more play so the skewer doesn't rub as much.
Would like an opinion re" old lid vs wider new lid. I would think the older one would hold the heat in better??

I'm talking with zero knowledge; folks like Bruce, LM and a few others are the experts but is it possible that One Grill or a hardware store offers a spacer that would eliminate the play you're experiencing, assuming that's the issue?

Any benefits to using a new lid as opposed to the old one or vice versa
I think the old one has nicer “vintage” look. How could you grind the lid to accommodate the square part or do u mean grind the square section of skewer into a round shape that fits into the base hole???

I actually called one grill and explain the situation and thought it may be a longer skewer would be a solution but he said no he said for the four burner the first round cut out is like 30 some inches which is even wider than my base

Interesting reading, and the collar would prevent the skewer from pushing toward the motor and grinding the lid, and I would not have to grin d anything......But it seems you guys prefer the newer lid rather than the older??? Any reason why?? Thanks

Well, they are both great lids. Both great quality. One is new one isn't. One is a cool color, one isn't. They both have their pluses and minuses but it basically comes down to preference. Bottom line is that you have one that is damaged to the point you wanted to swap it out. If you don't like the new black one, I would see no problem going with the original lid. That little chip isn't a big deal imo. Otherwise, you can look for a donor grill to steal one off of. I think there are much better colors than the black and whatever color your old one is.

Actually they r both green , one the Mica green the newer one more of a spruce green
Well I could b in a worse position having a smashed lid and having to pay $XXX to buy a new one
Bruce, I guess it would b ok to grind out a piece of the lid where the square part of the skewer hits the lid? Is that what u meant?? Is there a common tool I could use without having to buy a grinder

NO, dont grind the lid. I was talking about the reason you got the new lid with the damage on the front of the old one. Use the color solution that I posted earlier to solve your problem if you are keeping the new lid.

I understand. U mean that link that shows the circular collars.
I’ll have to go over to Lowe’s tomorrow with the picture and see if they have them

yes. One that will fit on your roto spit so that it buts up to the side of the fire box and wont let the spit slid in far enough to hit the lid.

Good enough. Thanks so much. I changed lids this morning to the old one but if I can get this collar I do prefer the thermometer in the middle. Although I also use thermpro and thermapen. What exactly should I ask for at Lowe’s??

Hi
I have been thinking about the Fastenal idea and wanna ask wouldn’t the rounds disc end up rubbing against the side of the box where it is placed?? Thanks. George

You place the collar on the spit just to the inside of the left of the cook box so that it rubs against that before the spit can actually rub on the end cap on the right.

In this photo on my rotisserie, you see the collar on the inside right of the cook box. THat keeps the roto from moving out further to the right. Your problem is the roto moves too far left, so you want your collar on the inside left of the roto to prevent the roto from moving left and contacting the end cap.

Now, you will notice the type of roto that I have in my grill uses a round spit. Yours is the traditional square shape, I believe. That means you will need to find a collar that fits over the square spit and it might wind up being bigger than 3/8".

dflt6N6.jpg

Back