Thread: The Food That Built America

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Bob Correll's Avatar

The Food That Built America

Pretty interesting series on the History channel, if you're so inclined.
    Three two hour episodes, third one airs tomorrow.

I watched the first episode and have the DVR set for the last two. It's the same type of three-part series as "The Cars That Made America" that ran on History channel last year, if anyone happened to watch that.

I like the information, but there's quite a bit of repetition when coming back from commercial break, and I find those sequences awkward where the actors stand around making silent gestures as the narrator does the voice-over.

What I did not realize is what a jerk CW Post was in stealing the recipe for granola from the Kellogg brothers...

TVWBB Wizard
    I caught # 2 and coping the others very interesting for the idea inventions and behind the scenes in fighting for control of the market share.
    "WEBER"
    2010 Black Performer,S310 2007,18.5 WSM 2010,Jumbo Joe 2014

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Bob Correll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Allingham View Post
    I watched the first episode and have the DVR set for the last two. It's the same type of three-part series as "The Cars That Made America" that ran on History channel last year, if anyone happened to watch that.

I like the information, but there's quite a bit of repetition when coming back from commercial break, and I find those sequences awkward where the actors stand around making silent gestures as the narrator does the voice-over.

What I did not realize is what a jerk CW Post was in stealing the recipe for granola from the Kellogg brothers...
    At least you get to see Henry Heinz perfecting your favorite ketchup.

I'll have to see if I can find the first 2 on demand.
    Proud veteran of the US Army!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Correll View Post
    At least you get to see Henry Heinz perfecting your favorite ketchup.
    Yeah, he comes across as a guy who blows it once financially and then bets everything on ketchup, and I didn't get the sense that he had a bunch of money, yet he spends how many years -- eight? -- building a huge factory that incorporating new-fangled electricity? He must have had a huge amount of financial backing to pay for all that. Good thing he got that ketchup recipe right!

TVWBB Pro
    Pulled in all 3 episodes yesterday, watched Ep1 last night. More than a little overly dramatic. However, at the time, "successful" business men of the era really were ruthless, had no ethics to speak of generally, and would sell their own mother to get ahead.

TVWBB Pro
    I stumbled across that series also. Things were definitely cutthroat.