The Food That Built America

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
Pretty interesting series on the History channel, if you're so inclined.
Three two hour episodes, third one airs tomorrow.

I watched the first episode and have the DVR set for the last two. It's the same type of three-part series as "The Cars That Made America" that ran on History channel last year, if anyone happened to watch that.

I like the information, but there's quite a bit of repetition when coming back from commercial break, and I find those sequences awkward where the actors stand around making silent gestures as the narrator does the voice-over.

What I did not realize is what a jerk CW Post was in stealing the recipe for granola from the Kellogg brothers...

I caught # 2 and coping the others very interesting for the idea inventions and behind the scenes in fighting for control of the market share.

I watched the first episode and have the DVR set for the last two. It's the same type of three-part series as "The Cars That Made America" that ran on History channel last year, if anyone happened to watch that.

I like the information, but there's quite a bit of repetition when coming back from commercial break, and I find those sequences awkward where the actors stand around making silent gestures as the narrator does the voice-over.

What I did not realize is what a jerk CW Post was in stealing the recipe for granola from the Kellogg brothers...
At least you get to see Henry Heinz perfecting your favorite ketchup. :)

At least you get to see Henry Heinz perfecting your favorite ketchup. :)

Yeah, he comes across as a guy who blows it once financially and then bets everything on ketchup, and I didn't get the sense that he had a bunch of money, yet he spends how many years -- eight? -- building a huge factory that incorporating new-fangled electricity? He must have had a huge amount of financial backing to pay for all that. Good thing he got that ketchup recipe right! :D

Pulled in all 3 episodes yesterday, watched Ep1 last night. More than a little overly dramatic. However, at the time, "successful" business men of the era really were ruthless, had no ethics to speak of generally, and would sell their own mother to get ahead.

Back