Rehabbing a kettle

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
OK, I normally rehab Webber gassers, but I have someone who is interested in a kettle grill. Just a basic grill with ash catcher.

So, what should I look for in a possible candidate. I have very little experience with the kettle coal burners so be specific.
Model?
Size?
Cost of rehab candidate I should expect?
Anything to look for in condition of grill I should Look for?
Any other suggestions on what to look for in a candidate grill?

Then, some tips on fixing it up for a flip?

Thanks,
Bruce

After having one, I'd not buy one that wasn't a Premium for the ash bin. I have an 18", even with just the 2 of us I can see that a 22" would be a better size. Been looking but all I see in the area are the Originals.

I’m interested in this too. I was reading reviews of new kettles on the Home Depot site, and there were several comments that the new grills have lighter metal in them.

Any truth to that? How can I tell if it a grill is an older heavier one?

Hi guys/gals: I am picking this up Wednesday. Does it seem like a good deal? I don't know much more about it. I asked the size and she said "normal sized". I guess she doesn't own a tape measure. Anyway, I am hoping it is in decent condition inside.

Can someone tell me what to look for when I stop to check it out? If I have to replace the cooking grates or coal grates, what are my options? My intentions are to do a quick rehab and give (sell cheap) to someone else.

Are you getting the 18”? That’s a good deal, typically the things that fail are the sweepers (cheap fix) and grates. A good cleaning is all they really need unless they have developed some rust issues. Then, it’s the same as gassers with rust problems.
I am a real fan of the ash catchers! I added one to the maroon 18 on my double barreled overperformer. It’s great!
The 22 is the go to grill for me 98% of the time. Two of us most of the time, weekly its for 6, sometimes many more. Sometimes I have an 18” WSM, both kettles, and the Genny going all at once!
As someone else said on the forum,

“They all have their purposes”

Last edited:
Alright, thanks. What are "Sweepers"? I am not sure if it is an 18" or maybe larger.

If it's the one you posted as an example from craigslist, then it says it's an 18. I got a Weber hinged grate for mine a few weeks back off Amazon for $17, non hinged was a buck or 2 less. I did not shop around.

I am a real fan of the ash catchers! I added one to the maroon 18 on my double barreled overperformer. It’s great!

Can someone elaborate on why the ash catchers are great? I haven't used a kettle yet. I haven't found ash disposal to be an issue with my WSM. Maybe with the kettle it's harder because of the stand/wheels?

Are those grates stainless steel or coated steel? How do they hold up if not stainless?

Can someone elaborate on why the ash catchers are great? I haven't used a kettle yet. I haven't found ash disposal to be an issue with my WSM. Maybe with the kettle it's harder because of the stand/wheels?

With the ash catcher you don't have to empty the ashes after every cook. The ashes are more or less enclosed (as they are in the WSM) so the wind won't blow them around and make a mess if you happen to leave them for a few days. It's easier to empty them. And since there are often dry leaves near my grills I am less concerned about the possibility of a small ember falling out through the vents while I'm cooking.

Once you use a kettle you will see the convenience, trust me!

Plated but, there are stainless options from a host of aftermarket sources.
I replace mine every now and then, can’t really say how long a set lasts.
Bruce, The sweepers clear ash into the lower bowl and I can do several cooks without having to clean it out. Would not work so well with a WSM, the slit vents in the kettle make it simple, daisy wheel design would not allow clearing very well. Also they would need longer legs to accommodate the depth of an ash catcher.
Once you start to see how to “fine tune” vent opening for temperature control (similar to using the daisy wheels on the WSM) you understand why the kettle is such a fun cooking medium. The first one my Dad bought maybe 1971(?) served him for years then it came to me when my folks moved for my father’s work. Graduated high school and they left, telling me not to burn the house down! I threw myself into working with the kettle. Here we are so many years later and I still use it almost daily!

I should be picking it up Wednesday and will post some more detailed photos when I get it home.

On the older 22's the top vent is at the end of the handle, 18's had it at the side.
Newer 22's have it on the side. Not sure when they changed.
The one on FB is a 22" and that's a good price for a One Touch Gold.

Any recommendations on what I should read before using my kettle for the first time? I guess Chris should make a Virtual Kettle site similar to what he has for the WSM & gas grills.

Also, is it possible to start a fire in the kettle, use it, and then snuff it out for your coals to be used another time? I know I can do this in my WSM. Not sure if the kettle is air tight enough.

Back