I think I am going to pull the trigger on a Spirit II E-310

Yah, that does look blue....right???? I am color blind, but I would guess it to be blue as well.

Anyway, anyone have any tips on picking up a basic kettle with ash catcher to rehab? The lady I am getting this grill from wants a coal burner, but I am not real familiar with them and have never rehabbed one.
What price point should I look for in a basic kettle and what should I look for as far as condition goes? Also, rehab tips would be welcome.

Just think, two more propane tanks to add to your collection ;). kidding around us I'd I have no idea what the market is for the spirit grills. and even if I did your area is much different than mine.

That's cool that you'll be buying this grill from this lady and then seller her a charcoal one. Good job working your existing leads!

I got it. Looks like great condition, just dirty from use and I have a feeling it sat outside uncovered. I will check it out more closely tomorrow, but I am hoping for quick cleanup and flip with no painting or grinding necessary.

Then, She is looking for a kettle with the ash catch....I guess it is called a "premium" version. I hope to find one, do a quick clean up on it and turn it over to her for cost plus a few bucks for my time. She is a single mom and really didn't want to give up the Spirit II but needed the money. She also likes coal burners more but only has a Smokey joe and wants a full size with the ash catcher. I am hoping to find a cheap rehab candidate that I can clean up an turn over to here for a good price. I almost feel guilty for taking such a new grill from her for only $150. But, I was upfront that I thought it was worth more than that even though that was all I would pay for it.

I think we will all be interested in what you think of the new Spirit. The three burner actually seems pretty nice to me, but I know some others having just looked at them in the store think otherwise. Maybe you could do one grilling session before you clean it to see how it does.

As far as a kettle, you can probably find a ton of them. Many of the newer ones have the ash container instead of a flat pan. I would probably steer in that direction for her because I doubt she would find any value in an older one even though they were made here in the US. Even a well kept one is going to show its age. Serious kettle people would rather have some “patina” and a more classic grill. I am betting she would be happier with one that looked newer. You can probably find a decent black one for $50-$60.

Sounds good Jon. I am working on for about$35. But it is 65 miles away. But I have as dr appt nearby on Wednesday. It looks a bit rough, but not too bad.

question about the lids on these things. Are they still porcelain coated like the older ones? Will I have to worry about scratches if I clean it with some #0000 steel wool and Simple Green?

OK, someone asked that I do a cook on this grill before I tore it apart for rehab. I cooked three skinless chicken breasts on it last night and it did a fine job. It did seem the left side was hotter than the right but the condition the grill was in could have something to do with that. It is a greasy mess. I am guessing the previous owner did a lot of quick cooks with greasy foods and never did much of a warmup or burn off at the end to burn off any of the grease. It was smoking pretty bad while I was doing the chicken breasts to the point I was worried about a flare up. One thing that I noted was they seemed to be very much the same general design of the previous Spirit E310 line. There are certainly some differences, but they are more cosmetic in my opinion and not what would constitute changing from Spirit to Spirit II in the naming.

But, I have to say that they are not bad grills for the price, but I would never choose one over my Genesis 1000.

Again, does anyone know if I can clean up the lid with #0000 steel wool and simple green? Or is it not as durable as the older grill lids?

It is a greasy mess. I am guessing the previous owner did a lot of quick cooks with greasy foods and never did much of a warmup or burn off at the end to burn off any of the grease.

Not sure why but this part made me laugh out loud! Thanks for doing a test and noting the grill's characteristics.

Yah, I certainly didn't need to oil the grates or chicken before dropping them on the hot grates. They didn't stick at all with how greasy it was.

question about the lids on these things. Are they still porcelain coated like the older ones? Will I have to worry about scratches if I clean it with some #0000 steel wool and Simple Green?

Bruce,

They ARE still porcelain, BUT they are made in China and may well be thinner and not as resistant to strong cleaning. I would go really easy at first and try #0000 in an inconspicuous place before getting too carried away.

Have a look at this blue one that is up for sale in Florida for $200. Notice what he says about his hood:

https://sarasota.craigslist.org/for/d/bradenton-weber-spirit-ii-210-gas-grill/6949438195.html

Thanks Jon. I do see the mark on the top. I wonder if some #0000 steel wool and simple green wouldn't take that right off...I think it would on an old style hood.

Anyway, I wish my grill was that color of blue. Mine is more of an Aqua blue or Slate blue.

Bruce

Back