Hola from San Diego

Jon M

After a while lurking here I felt compelled to join. After a 3 week battle with Chris over a user name I decided on this. Never heard of rules like that but it’s his site so he can do what he wants. He was so freakin happy to have me, finally, he invited for me to flame the (expletive deleted) out of him, but I ain’t like that. :)
I will ask why his comments are disabled on his you tube channel though. (Rhetorical question)

I started smokin in the 90s with a Brinkman. Then moved on to various gas and coal grills and then an Acorn egg. Got rid of that and found a severely discounted Kamado Joe classic in 2012 on a merchant discontinued sale. Been pimp’in the hell out of that ever since.... got to love the ceramics.

Anyhow, I found a scratch and dent 14.5 WSM on EBay for half price. It was never used with only a dent in the body rim. Nothing a bend with pliers couldn’t fix. Now well over $100 in mods later I have a cool little grill I can take camping and Call her a “Smokin Josie” -a close cousin to Smokey Joe. So if I take the 14.5 bullet- Smokin Josie goes along automatically:smokeyjoe: for those quick burgers/steaks or bakers.
That’s my story and stickin’ To it!

I have replaced 99% of the hardware, reversed the fasteners and added cap nuts, Made a quick disconnect base platform on wheels and fabbed some handle brackets with Weber plastic handles from Amazon.
Not as good as some but it works for me.

i-fgNKPPn-M.jpg

i-xMmpLZ2-M.jpg

i-h3ZXrFR-M.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the board! Nice pictures. Now I don't quite understand Smoky Josie's heritage. Is this the scratch-and-dent WSM that is Smoky Josie? What happened to the middle section and do you still use it for anything?

Welcome to the tvwbb. You're going to find a lot of great folks here who love to help and share ideas. Love your "Smoken Josie" that's a great twofer. The best of luck with your cooks.

Bill

Welcome to the board! Nice pictures. Now I don't quite understand Smoky Josie's heritage. Is this the scratch-and-dent WSM that is Smoky Josie? What happened to the middle section and do you still use it for anything?

I wanted to incorporate a smaller grill for camping. I still use the whole unit for smoking. Remove the center section and I have another grill.
Sounds like you are looking for another center section?

i-sHZ2kt8-M.jpg

I wanted to incorporate a smaller grill for camping. I still use the whole unit for smoking. Remove the center section and I have another grill.
Sounds like you are looking for another center section?

Ok, got it. Now I understand. No, I'm not looking for a middle section but thanks for asking.

I would love to know more about the handles you have mounted to the center section.

You can buy the handles at Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00FDOOQD0/tvwb-20

Home Depot carries ⅛” aluminum flat bar. Cut the length you need and start with the center section that fits into the handle. I used a vise and a vice grip to bend. Work your way out making bends-to the ends, then drill the holes...There is a great tutorial here somewhere from someone who documented his process in great detail -which I followed loosely...may take some searching. The process is pretty straight forward and VERY strong!

There are also other options using replacement garbage-can handles. (They get hot, but much easier, search WSM mods)

I then ground off the corners and used the original existing hole for the rack support and only drilled one hole for each handle, (PIC) I probably had to add a longer bolt cant remember as I changed most all the hardware and reversed them out with cap nuts. Let me know if you have more questions ;)

i-gm48PZG-M.jpg

Back