Your thoughts about using MSG?

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
Monosodium glutamate.
I know it's a controversial subject for many, but I want to know if you use it, and if so, do you think it really is a flavor enhancer.
I had a shaker of Accent years ago, no recollection about how it might have added to the flavor of food.
Pros and cons are all over the internet, of course, here's what the FDA says:
https://www.fda.gov/food/food-additives-petitions/questions-and-answers-monosodium-glutamate-msg
Many natural foods have glutamate, MSG is supposed to be no different than naturally occurring. Some bbq rub recipes call for it.
Sound off! :)

For our household, we generally don't use rubs that contain MSG. Wife has shown that she responds negatively to BBQ at contests because of the high MSG usage by teams. Responds as if she has the 3 day flu !

Only happens when higher concentrations are used....

For our household, we generally don't use rubs that contain MSG. Wife has shown that she responds negatively to BBQ at contests because of the high MSG usage by teams. Responds as if she has the 3 day flu !

Only happens when higher concentrations are used....
Pretty much what my research found, in order for a reaction to happen it has to be in an amount much higher than what normal usage would be.

I don't shy away from it, but I don't really go out of my way to include it. I have had what I think was a reaction to MSG in the past after a family member used 'a bunch' at a family dinner.

I don't shy away from it, but I don't really go out of my way to include it. I have had what I think was a reaction to MSG in the past after a family member used 'a bunch' at a family dinner.

I don't avoid it, and I avoid adding it to rub recipes if called for.

My relatives used to use a seasoning called Onera, it's basically a seasoning salt but 50% MSG. My cousins still love it.

I got some steak seasoning that's called Uncle Chris' Steak seasoning, it has quite a bit of MSG (recognize the crystals). It's pretty good but I doubt I'll look for it again.

Went to a Chinese fast food chain a few years ago that "claims" they don't use msg. Had a bad reaction, barely made it home before passing out. Won't touch the stuff now.

I don't avoid it. I use it when a recipe calls for it. Otherwise I don't. It's not something I use routinely.

It's my understanding that many people (not all) who think they are responding to MSG are experiencing something else. Similar to L-tryptophan at Thanksgiving not being the cause of your sleepiness.

I use it , as BRITU calls for it. I will add it to other recipes just for the h of it. No reactions here :D

I don't purposely add it like S&P but it's in a few spice blends I use. Chef Merito, Cavenders, Sazon Goya.

Tim

Don't use it and don't actively look to see if it's in things I do use. With all the junk in processed foods today I don't think it's any worse than a lot of other ingredients.

Don't use it and don't actively look to see if it's in things I do use. With all the junk in processed foods today I don't think it's any worse than a lot of other ingredients.
I wondered if you used it due to needing to reduce sodium intake.
Here's a clip:
[h=2]Salt and MSG: Flavor Enhancers[/h]Salt has been used for millenia to add flavor to foods and to improve their texture and shelf life. Studies suggest that it may be possible to use the umami power of MSG to enhance the flavor of foods without adding as much sodium compared with flavoring foods only with salt. As a flavor-enhancer, MSG can boost the savory taste of foods without adding excessive amounts of sodium because it contains about one-third less sodium than salt. The savory qualities of the glutamate in MSG can add flavor to food without creating a taste of overwhelming saltiness."
https://healthyeating.sfgate.com/msg-vs-salt-2990.html

I wondered if you used it due to needing to reduce sodium intake.
Here's a clip:
[h=2]Salt and MSG: Flavor Enhancers[/h]Salt has been used for millenia to add flavor to foods and to improve their texture and shelf life. Studies suggest that it may be possible to use the umami power of MSG to enhance the flavor of foods without adding as much sodium compared with flavoring foods only with salt. As a flavor-enhancer, MSG can boost the savory taste of foods without adding excessive amounts of sodium because it contains about one-third less sodium than salt. The savory qualities of the glutamate in MSG can add flavor to food without creating a taste of overwhelming saltiness."
https://healthyeating.sfgate.com/msg-vs-salt-2990.html

That may be an interesting idea. Although I really can't take a lot of salt in my food anymore and I'm used to it. If a recipe calls for salt and I want to add a little I use a Morton low sodium salt which is 50% less sodium than normal table salt and only use 1/4- 1/2 the amount called for. Now that they have salt free beef and chicken stock that opened up a lot of possibilities. Also use salt free canned tomatoes and sauce,
Barb and I are always on the prowl for no salt or super low sodium products. I will say some of the no salt and low salt products would gag a maggot there so bad flavor wise.

I use it if it is in a seasoning blend that I like. I try to avoid salt as much as I can.

67774392_2480741575310290_8523582445402980352_n.jpg

Harry Soo did some excellent Youtube videos one some of these umami flavors and where they come from. Once you see that, then it just doesn't look as threatening. I know there is something in some competition style barbecue I that I react negatively to compared to the stuff that I cook. I think it's just the heightened level of seasoning so it may not be MSG at all. Maybe it's the extra sugar? Dunno.

I used to not use MSG, but I've also used shiitake mushroom powder in soup recipes, so who's the hypocrite now?

Friends brought us a seasoning rub with them back from New Orleans, and it's your usual salty lemon pepper affair, but I noticed the 3rd ingredient was MSG. It's delicious, and I augment it rather than making a separate rub.

We use it but we also use sugar, salt , and many other spices, in moderation.
Anything good can be made bad with excessive use, told to me by my mother. Back then I believe it was chocolate.....

Back