Buying Pork Ribs

BobJ

TVWBB Super Fan
Not sure if this is the right sub forum but...

The last 2 cryo packed rib purchased smelled pretty bad when I opened them. 1st one was a single St Louis cut rack from the local grocery store, wife said it was fine and it tasted fine when cooked. Just got a 3 pack of back ribs from Costco (sell by date of 8/10, bought on the 7th), it smells to high heaven too, again the wife says it's okay. Froze individually in freezer zip locks. Now the freezer stinks.

Being new to all this, is the smell of packaged pork normal?

If it were not for Deb telling me otherwise, I'd have returned the 3 pack, if you can do such.

If there were an on line scratch and sniff I'd give you a whiff, but alas, no such luck.

Last edited:
Cryoed pork does have an off smell, sometimes, but I wouldn't say it smells as bad as you say.
Maybe you have a sensitive snifter?
I always trust my Wife but if you have doubt's toss it.

Tim

There should be no problem getting a refund from Costco even without the ribs, but if they're frozen you could take them back along with your receipt.
I got some bad cryo packed baby backs from Costco once, there was no mistaking the smell, it wasn't the typical off smell Tim describes.
I cannot remember if I froze them and returned them, or just took in my receipt.
Upon close inspection I found a small hole in the packing.
I would not eat them.
PS, I'm not sure if you even need the receipt, I think they have a record of your purchases.
PSS, If you buy more from Costco and they have the same smell, then it's probably just the time spent in the cryo.

Last edited:
Thanks, think I'll take a run there on Monday and talk to them. When I looked it upon the internet, I read that the smell should be gone after rinsing with cold water, no such luck.

I've had the exact same experience, several times. ( I just read your post to my wife and asked her if it sounded familiar. It did.) I open the cryo package and there is an "off smell", to the point of asking my wife to give me a second opinion. She always signals all clear. I guess after reading all of the meat safety stuff out there I've become super sensitive regarding meat quality. That's OK by me, better safe than sorry.

There should be no problem getting a refund from Costco even without the ribs, but if they're frozen you could take them back along with your receipt.
I got some bad cryo packed baby backs from Costco once, there was no mistaking the smell, it wasn't the typical off smell Tim describes.
I cannot remember if I froze them and returned them, or just took in my receipt.
Upon close inspection I found a small hole in the packing.
I would not eat them.
PS, I'm not sure if you even need the receipt, I think they have a record of your purchases.
PSS, If you buy more from Costco and they have the same smell, then it's probably just the time spent in the cryo.

I had that happen with a prime brisket from Costco once. Decided to wet age it in the bottom of the fridge for a few weeks.
Had a small hole or bad seal cause it really stank when I opened it.
No problem getting a refund from Costco, snapped a pic of the label with my phone.

Tim

Back