It's midnight in Colorado...

Roy Nemmers

anyone else up at this hour? I'm firing the wsm for a brisket cook, it has been a few years since I cooked a brisket on the wsm. I cooked one last week for my nieces 40th birthday party on my sisters weber grill. It was a smashing success and was gobbled up quickly. But it got me hankering for brisket so when I found a decent specimen at Sam's I snatched it up. So here I am, it's a bit past midnight and I'm waiting for the charcoal to light. Is anyone out there?

OK, it's on, I'm going to hang out for a bit to stabilize the smoker temp then I will toddle off to bed. I have all alarms turned off so as to not disturb my beauty sleep. The smoker should settle in around 250, I've gotten pretty good at guessing the vent settings over the years. Next update in the morn...

igRapTXhMspjUND29

Last edited:
Woke up at 6 to find the wsm at 268f, perfect, I love my smoker. I sprayed cider vinegar on the brisket periodically for about 2 hours and then wrapped in butcher paper. Not sure why the picture is not working.

Last edited:
I rarely see 3 am from the “getting up” side.
I picked up a brisket from Costco the other day, I am trying to decide it that will be my birthday dinner or standing rib roast. Hard decision!
Your brisket pic came through Bill’s link for me just fine, looks good!

It's off the smoker and resting comfortably in the cooler awaiting dinner service. Can't wait to try it, it probed like butter and felt very soft when I picked it up. It was on the smoker for 12 hours total at an avg temp of 265, pretty much what I was shooting for. I'll post some pictures when I slice into it this evening.

So what I discovered is that I suck at taking photos, but pretty good at smoking briskets. The brisket was in the cooler for 5 hours, it was at 158f when I got it out for slicing. It was very moist and tender with excellent flavor. Don't think I would change anything next time. I sliced the flat, but left the point whole. I'll reheat the point later today and take it to a concert for dinner tonight. So there you have it, my midnight smoke with a few crappy pictures.

Midnight Brisket Smoke

Roy, I've been off-grid for a bit, but looks like a good turn out! Making me hungry!

And don't worry about the pictures, you'll get better! And even if you don't, as long as to food keeps turning out good no one will mind!

Back