Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have I killed my new build

Have I killed my new build

I was trying to solder on the Thermo couple amp and in trying to reposition it I've pulled the top left (as you look at it) pad off the board.

Is there any way to recover from this or have I killed it? If I have killed it I assume I can continue with the rest of the board and use a probe instead of a thermo couple is that correct?

You're in luck. That pad isn't connected to anything.

Oh Spencer you are one lucky duck!
    (AH)-Black, ThermaPen Classic-Red, Weber 6707 Deluxe Tool Set, Weber 6645 Travel Tool Set, Weber 6469 Premium Grilling Rack

TVWBB Honor Circle Bryan Mayland's Avatar
    Yeah that's some good luck right there! You can just tell everyone that the pin was extra dead weight so you removed it to optimize the design.
    I'm that HeaterMeter guy what ruins everybody's free time.

Thanks, I ordered spare parts just in case. I'll give it another go.

How lucky am I??

upload image from url
    Now I've got the middle pins on the top shorted together and can't for the life of me get rid of the solder in-between.

Have I massively underestimateaded the difficulty of the smd soldering or will this still work?

sweet!! are there instructions for the 4.3.4 board somewhere? the ones linked aren't quite the same as the board I have. (but I think I've got it right so far)
    Last edited by SpencerB; 08-10-2019 at 10:37 AM.

TVWBB Honor Circle Bryan Mayland's Avatar
    The 4.3.3 and the 4.3.4 are identical apart from a couple things being skooched around by a millimeter, two parts swapping position (D3 and 1K resistor), and one swapping orientation (D2). I did film a new assembly video but my dumb camera stops recording at 29 minutes (to avoid being a 'camcorder') so I only recorded the beginning and don't feel like setting it all up again considering how close the two are.

The schematics and board layout images are up to date though 434 Base and 433 Base if you want to flip back and forth between browser tabs to see the differences.
    I'm that HeaterMeter guy what ruins everybody's free time.

So I'm all built, only the display says - No Pit Probe - with or without the thermocouple connected (I've set it to thermo couple in the web interface). Is there anything simple to check? I've shorted the thermocouple inputs together and nothing happens but if I touch the board with my finger I get a reading (not sure exactly what I'm shorting to what when I do that).

if there's nothing simple to check is there a way to assign one of the other probe inputs to be the pit temp or do I need to try and remove the the thermocouple jack and solder on the 3.5mm input?

Or is there an off the shelf thermcouple amplifier I can buy that's compatible? a quick search on ebay suggests there's loads out there for as little as a couple of $ but I'm guessing nothing that will simply work in line.

Edit....
    Think I found the issue I'd fitted the 10k resistor in the 100k holes it's now showing 41 degrees F when I plug the thermocouple in so it needs calibrating (temp is around 75 F )

So doesn't looks like it works I think the board was still hot from soldering) I've done something and it read a temp of 300 f then dropped slowly until it goes back to saying - No Pit Probe -
    Last edited by SpencerB; 08-17-2019 at 07:46 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast