Lemon-Ginger Lemonade

Joan

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Do you like fresh ginger? I sure do. Another one of those recipes that I liked and forgot all about. Made it one time back in 2001. Shame on me. lol

Lemon-Ginger Lemonade
makes about 5 1/2 cups

Lemon-Ginger Syrup:
1 tsp. lemon zest, chopped
1 (1") piece of ginger root, peeled and sliced thin
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup water

Lemon-Ginger Lemonade:
1 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
1/4 cup sugar
4 cups cold water

Syrup: Combine zest, ginger and water in a small nonreactive saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil, then boil 1 minute. Turn off heat and cover pan. Allow mixture to steep until cool. Strain our solids; discard. Refrigerate syrup until ready to use.

Lemonade: Combine lemon juice, sugar and syrup. Stir until sugar has dissolved. Add cold water and stir again. Pour over ice in tall glass.

Source: Sun Sentinal June 2001

I somewhat recently discovered Costco's organic lemonade. In previous years I've made a mint limeade that comes close to the Cafe Rio version, but this year limes never hit the price point where this drink became worth the money/effort. Instead I did a variation using the Costco lemonade. I made a mint simple syrup and poured about a tablespoon of that into a large glass before filling with the bottle lemonade. It's not exactly a lemon version of the mint limeade, but it's not bad and is clearly much easier.

I wonder if a ginger simple syrup poured into the bottled lemonade would come close to this recipe. I'll have to pick up a hand of ginger and give it a try.

Back