Al Pastor on a Rotisserie??

DBono

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi All
I was thinking of given Al Pastor a try on my rotisserie. I will using a sliced up pork butt,3-4 lbs
I got 2 questions.
1. Can this be done, using the rotisserie?
2. Is there Al Pastor marinade that I buy in a store?
3 Is there a quick one I can make? Quick one= without too may ingredients, that I may have at home..

Thanks Dan

Like they used to say on game shows Len “Good answer”!
The trimming will be only a little different (horizontal instead of vertical) but, with proper planning, you’d be just fine!
Stacking the meat, pineapple components after the are marinated might get a wee bit messy but, not hard.

I have seen the “little” Latino grocery just move to a place that is maybe ten times the square footage of the old one so, I hope that means I will be able to get a few more things that, historically, have been more difficult to find. Will file a report after they open up again.
There is a small Latino butcher right down the street so, I might need to dive deeper into the “Al Pastor” concept. Good grief, I love food!

I Have pretty much everything but the dried chillies. Will have to check around and se where I can get some.
Thanks Dan

We love al pastor. Ancho chiles are a good substitute for guajillos. Even here in Texas, you won't find guajillos everywhere. The achiote paste is often in the Mexican Food section rather than the Spice section. I've got pork marinating with that recipe in the fridge right now, but won't get to make it until tomorrow.

Jeff

We love al pastor. Ancho chiles are a good substitute for guajillos. Even here in Texas, you won't find guajillos everywhere. The achiote paste is often in the Mexican Food section rather than the Spice section. I've got pork marinating with that recipe in the fridge right now, but won't get to make it until tomorrow.

Jeff

Hi Jeff Lets us know how you make out with the marinating pork?
Thanks Dan

Hi All I did find the Guajillo peppers.
What didn't find were the Ancho peppers.Here is a list of the peppers they did have.
Chili Morita
Chili Costeno
Chili Puya
Chili Pasilla
What would be a good substitute for the Ancho pepper. The label on the Pasilli said mild heat.My wife CAN'T take any kind of heat.
Thanks All
Dan

They also had Ground Achiote and paste? I've seen some recipes where Achiote was used?

Last edited:
Hi All I did find the Guajillo peppers.
What didn't find were the Ancho peppers.Here is a list of the peppers they did have.
Chili Morita
Chili Costeno
Chili Puya
Chili Pasilla
What would be a good substitute for the Ancho pepper. The label on the Pasilli said mild heat.My wife CAN'T take any kind of heat.
Thanks All
Dan

They also had Ground Achiote and paste? I've seen some recipes where Achiote was used?

Morita's are smoked jalapeno's.
Costeno's are semi hot.
Puya's are similar to guajillo but hotter.
pasilla or chili negro is one of my fav's, mild to med hot.
Mulato is a good sub for ancho's.

Annato seeds steeped in oil makes a wonderful cooking oil for rice or beans ( gives it that rich yellow color)

Achiote paste is not hard to make if you have a spice grinder and annato seeds.https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/70629/achiote-paste/

Tim

Hi So I can use the pasilla in place of the Ancho's. It can't have any heat or my wife won't eat it.
I do use annato seeds when making my rice n beans.
Thanks Dan

Most of the heat is in the seeds and membrane so wear a pair of disposable gloves and split the pepper with kitchen shears and remove as much as possible.

Tim

Most of the heat is in the seeds and membrane so wear a pair of disposable gloves and split the pepper with kitchen shears and remove as much as possible.

Tim

Hi On the dried pepper label it said to put the peppers in a pan and grill them 1st before rehydrating them? Is this necessary?
Thanks Dan

Lightly toasting them in a hot cast iron pan releases more flavor. Push down with a spatula, and turn on your exhaust fan.

Tim

But it will be quick so watch it doesn't burn. As soon as you get a lovely aroma, get it off the heat and let them cool.

Hi Jeff Lets us know how you make out with the marinating pork?
Thanks Dan

RE: The https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/tacos-al-pastor. recipe

The marinade is terrific. I should've saved some of the water used to rehydrate the peppers to thin it out a touch, but it worked fine in it's thicker form. Circumstances delayed the cook, so the pork marinated for over 48 hours. I'm not sure if that made much of a difference. The pork grilled up a nice bright red -- almost like tandoori chicken. The charred bits were very tasty (the pineapple juice helps caramelization). The grilled red onion was an essential flavor. I grilled some "Mixla" corn/flour tortillas until they were just slightly stiff and crunchy. With just pork, pineapple and onion on a tortilla, it's not like a traditional taco. It's very flavorful and not at all spicy, so it's good for those with sensitive tastebuds. Changes to the recipe I would make: Use a couple of more peppers; use fewer pineapple chunks; maybe add some habanero to pump up the heat. The time-consuming bit is making the marinade. Once that's done and the pork has marinated, the final prep is quick and easy. We will definitely do these again.

Jeff

P.S. As far as heat value, Anchos are about the same as Guajillos. If you're looking to keep the heat level down, Anchos would be a good choice.

Last edited:
Hi So far I haven't found the Ancho's. What I did find was on my list. So you grilled your pork, I'm thinking of going with my rotisserie.
Thanks Dan

Back