Lomo al Trapo

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
My wife spotted this and it sounded interesting so I thought I'd give it a try. It's a Colombian Beef Dish that I was not familiar with. Wasn't sorry I tried it.

Picked up a beef tenderloin. Just went with a cut from one of our big box markets as I wasn't sure how it would turn out. This one weighed just under 4 lbs. Selected a section of it that weighed 2.1 lbs. Froze the rest.

enhance

Very minor trimming and was ready to roll.

enhance

Sacrificed one of our cotton dish towels, a new one, and soaked it in red wine until completely saturated.

enhance

Wrung out towel and put a layer of K Salt about 1/4" thick on the wet towel. Added pepper, red pepper flakes and fresh Oregano.

enhance

Placed the meat in center.

enhance

Secured.

enhance

Set the beef aside and got the sides going. Grilled Reds and some Street Corn. Potatoes halved and basted with oil, onion. onion powder, garlic powder, Italian seasoning and s&p. Stripped kernels off 4 ears of corn. Made a dressing of mayo, Cotija, paprika, green onion stalk, parsley and black pepper.

enhance

Got the wrapped meat on the coals, caveman style.

enhance

Potatoes too.

enhance

Flipped meat after 15 minutes.

enhance

Got corn on in a little butter.

enhance

After around 10 minutes on the second side I probed the meat and it was right at around 130. Pulled and let rest 10 minutes. Can you imagine if we had guests with kids. They'd be eating cereal.

enhance

Pulled corn and mixed in dressing.

enhance

Cut away shell and gave the meat a few more minutes. Still piping hot.

enhance

Sliced.

enhance

enhance

Couple of plate shots.

enhance

enhance

Pretty darned good meal. The meat was outstanding and extremely tender. Flavor was good, not at all salty. Sides were tasty as well. My wife loved everything so I was a happy camper. Thanks for looking everyone and hope your new week is going well.

Cliff, you make me want to be a better man!
I actually just saw another version somewhere last week, yours looks better!

WOW!!! Cliff you nailed that one amazing meal. May have to give that one a try, thanks for sharing with us.

Ha, Barb sacrificing a new towel, never happen. I must admit that is an amazing cook Cliff, the bar moves up again.

I've seen that method before, was wondering about all of the salt. Thanks for sharing, looks great.

Creative cooking at it's Finest! Very Interesting, and I bet tasty. It is great when the cooking is just as enjoyable as the eating :D

You're a brave man Cliff, loved this... Can you imagine if we had guests with kids. They'd be eating cereal.
Well done Sir.

God, this is my favourite dish ever! I'm so happy to find a proper recipe finally, believe me or not I was looking for this for years. I tried Lomo al Trapo 5 years ago in a restaurant serving Latin American food in Canary Islands. We were looking for a restaurants for sale in Costa del Sol in order to start our own business with my wife and during our stay we were trying different restaurants to decide what kind of food we will serve and get to know with local tastes. It has a a heavenly taste, indeed.

Back