Stoker Users

Eric G

TVWBB Fan
I have a Stoker unit that has stopped working the fans and probes are still fine. I have tried multiple times to get ahold of someone at Rocks to see if they would repair the unit but I haven't been able to get a hold of anyone via email or phone. I know they no longer are selling them has anyone been able to get ahold of them over there? Also if it is the end would anyone be interested in the probes and fans I have to add to their system?

I have a Stoker unit that has stopped working the fans and probes are still fine. I have tried multiple times to get ahold of someone at Rocks to see if they would repair the unit but I haven't been able to get a hold of anyone via email or phone. I know they no longer are selling them has anyone been able to get ahold of them over there? Also if it is the end would anyone be interested in the probes and fans I have to add to their system?

I placed and received an order from them about six weeks ago, so they are still around. I received an email with a tracking number three days after I placed the order, so perhaps they haven't gotten around to writing back?

Incidentally, after receiving my new probes, my Stoker would not work either. I had not used it in a couple of years. It turned out to be the power cord that plugs into the brick and the wall outlet. Try a new cord or power supply and see what happens.

I placed and received an order from them about six weeks ago, so they are still around. I received an email with a tracking number three days after I placed the order, so perhaps they haven't gotten around to writing back?

Incidentally, after receiving my new probes, my Stoker would not work either. I had not used it in a couple of years. It turned out to be the power cord that plugs into the brick and the wall outlet. Try a new cord or power supply and see what happens.

Thanks for replying. The unit gets power the fan cycles at startup like it is supposed to, the pit and meat probe light up as well. However the screen no longer lights up, nor is it able to be accessed via the wifi. I am kinda at a loss as what to do. Sped money and repair a controller that there might be 0 support for in the future, or cut my losses and sell the probes and fans and get a CyberQ. I have 2 WSMs so I liked that the stoker had the ability to control 2 pits at the same time.

Know what you mean, Eric. Mine was still working. With the fan broken phono plug cover and the exposed circuit board, I decided to cut my losses. Really love the Stoker, but times do change. Running a ThermoWorks Signals and a Billows. Unfortunately only a single controller, unlike the multi-controller Stoker.

Know what you mean, Eric. Mine was still working. With the fan broken phono plug cover and the exposed circuit board, I decided to cut my losses. Really love the Stoker, but times do change. Running a ThermoWorks Signals and a Billows. Unfortunately only a single controller, unlike the multi-controller Stoker.

Any chance you still have the unit?

Yes, I do. Plan on keeping it as a backup, just in case. A couple of parts from Mouser (antenna & fan cable) and replace the fan phono plug cover with one from one of my other meat probes should be all I would need to do. Sorry about that. Have seen others sell theirs here, just none in the last few months.

Thanks for replying. The unit gets power the fan cycles at startup like it is supposed to, the pit and meat probe light up as well. However the screen no longer lights up, nor is it able to be accessed via the wifi. I am kinda at a loss as what to do. Sped money and repair a controller that there might be 0 support for in the future, or cut my losses and sell the probes and fans and get a CyberQ. I have 2 WSMs so I liked that the stoker had the ability to control 2 pits at the same time.

Please forgive me if you have tried the following, I'm just spitballing some ideas...

I'm no IT expert, but it sounds like it is hanging up during the boot sequence. Have you tried hooking it up to your network via ethernet cable and powering it up to gain access that way?

Have you tried booting it up without any probes or blowers plugged into the box? The reason I ask is this video (go to 2:36) from Rock's referencing the "self test:"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QduRjOLWimU

He seems to imply that if the blower or probe lights turn on and stay on during boot up, they did not pass the self test. Hopefully you have a bad blower or probe that is interrupting the boot sequence.

I don't have my Stoker box in front of me, but isn't there a reset button somewhere? IIRC, when I was having trouble with mine, I noticed a small hole that could be a reset button that is activated by inserting a paperclip.

Thanks guys. I have yet to get anyone on the phone as of yet. No response to the 2 emails I have sent in either. I will try and go over exactly the stoker startup and see what I can find. Thanks for your help so far.

So after doing some tests I have found that the screen doesn't progress passed the initial startup screen before the "Please Wait..." is shown. All that is displayed are the 12 small squares at the top of the screen. I have tried logging in which failed I have tried it with different blower and temp probes but nothing happens. I have even tried to power it up with nothing connected. Any thoughts?

Eric, what about re-flashing the firmware? Sounds like something has gone corrupt and this might address the issue - just a thought.

I'm happy to take a look as well. I believe I can ressurect dead stokers with my SPI programmer, heat gun and some replacement memory chips (they can wear out). Of course after all other options have been exhausted and you approve.

Back